Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1997 legacy wagon with a 2.5 that overheats on the highway. When the temp gauge skyrockets, the heater quits putting out heat only cold air. This started when I changed the oil, air filter and put in a new set of E-3 plug and removed the Bosch +4's. It runs better than it ever has with the exception of its overheating issue. Can anyone HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Sounds like typically EJ25 head gasket issues.

If you have added or lost any coolant recently then you have air in the coolant system and it needs to be properly bled. search for "burping" or bleeding or air bubbles here for tons of information.

If it is - then your "tune up" is only coincidental, there's no possible way it affected the over heating.

When overheating - pop the hood and if it's bubbling into the overflow - it's head gasket problems.

Or if the reservoir looks dirty, that's not a good sign either.

Lots of information on EJ25 head gasket problems here, start reading and good luck.

As written in earlier reply, sounds like a typical Subaru head gasket issue. Your year Subaru is infamous for developing this problem. There is a ton of information on this forum about this problem, and how to fix it. What ever you do, don't drive while motor is over heating. Keep a sharp eye on your temp gauge, when, (not if) it over heats again. Shut the motor off pronto at first sign of over heating. Otherwise, you will ruin the motor for sure.

As a "band aid" temp fix, loosen the vent bolt that is opposite the radiator cap on the other end of the radiator. This will help "vent" out some of the hot exhaust gas that is leaking out of the combustion chamber through the bad head gasket into the cooling system.

I bet when your car was over heating, the heater was working poorly.

Sorry to say, but cost is about $1,500 to repair. I know that is not what you want to hear.