Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is transmission fluid cooled by regular antifreeze?

This may be a total noob question, but I really don't know. Is it just the regular radiator fluid that's pumped through the transmission? If I were to remove the pipe just above the tranny oil pan, would it start leaking out? Would it be an ok thing to do to block it with some cork if I wanted to change the oil strainer/filter?

I know I shouldn't have gotten into this whole thing, but I pulled the pan off my 98 OBW just to clean it, and put on a rubber gasket that I understand may leak despite me torquing it properly. If that happens, I'm just gonna get back in there and use liquid gasket this time time around. But was thinking that I just may as well change the oil strainer, since it seems like 6 bolts all in all, including the coolant pipe.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My information is about slightly newer models, but I believe it is applicable to the '98s as well--

Engine coolant is not routed to the transmission. Rather, ATF is routed forward into the engine radiator. There are dedicated tubes inside the radiator's lower tank that the ATF circulates through in order to provide temperature moderation (either cooling or heating, as applicable). So, disconnecting lines going forward from the A/T should only cause ATF to leak out on you. :)

You refer to the "pipe above the trany pan," I think that is the tube that the transmission dip stick fits into to measure ATF level. No, the trany fluid does not fill up to the level of the tube, so nothing will flow out. However, there is no reason to remove the tube.

The transmission fluid is not cooled by antifreeze. Coolant and ATF flow through the radiator using separate lines. On the inside of the radiator (facing toward the engine) the transmission lines are screwed into the radiator. You will see one line at the top of the radiator, the other line near the bottom of the radiator. There is no need to remove either line, when replacing the trany pan.

Be very careful in replacing those pan bolts. The bolts can break (sheer off) very easily with minimum effort. Be sure that you know how to operate your torque wrench correctly. Someone, here on this forum, accidentally sheered off several bolts, when re-torquing the bolts with a cheap torque wrench. So be very careful when tightening, and good luck to you.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually already got burned with the bolts breaking off. Replaced them all with new ones just in case.

Here's a pic of that little pipe.

trancool.jpg

So if I understand correctly, there is just ATF inside of it, and I don't really have to worry too much about taking it off?

Do not replace that strainer - it will gain you nothign over the life of the vehicle. Return it and burn the cash in your fire place, you'd get more value that way.

But if you're still amped up to do it - yes unbolt stuff and replace. Nothing fancy about it.

The trans fluid gets pumped to the radiator, so all those hoses are filled with regular ATF, it passes through the radiator side tank as a heat exchanger.