Ultimate Subaru Message Board

They won't/don't sell the parts to the public, well they won't here in New Zealand, you have to be a member of the radiator guys association (or whatever they are).

You need to have a special tool to get them apart and back together succesfully really anyway, so leave it to the pro.

Probably cheaper to replace it. I had a copper radiator flushed at a local radiator shop a couple years back. They charged me $120 to flush it and patch a small hole, and it wasn't even in the car! A brand new one was $120 at the parts store!

Check out Rockauto.com. They have great deals on stuff like that. You'll have to pay shipping, but it's usually not much.

agree, JB weld in combination with a thin steel sleeve, can be used for the inlet necks repair. not sure sleeve it on the inside or outside?.

This repair is similar to what us old school legacy turbo guys have done with the brittle like glass coolnt fill tanks, where we threaded metal brass nipples onto the broken necks, and JB welded in place..

Edited by bheinen74

this is not the tank.

"plastic inlet on the top of the radiator where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator replaceable"

the plastic inlet is not too much to fix.

Where the hose connects, is fixable with jb weld and a sleeve.

It sounds, like the hose clamp got too much force when tightening, and it cracked it.

Would have to see a picture before saying for sure.

radiatorbarn.com has decent new ones, free shipping i think, and lifetime warranty.

Edited by bheinen74

The plastic they make the tanks of is very heat sensitive. Up to a cartain temperature they are fine, just a little hotter and it goes brittle and they crack.

Once your car has boiled they are always suspect after that and it pays to have the top tank in particular replaced while they are cleaning the radiator if you have done a head gasket.

Here the top tank is about seventy dollars where the whole new radiator is six hundred dollars. Those are Kiwi dollars I'm talking.

this is not the tank.

"plastic inlet on the top of the radiator where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator replaceable"

the plastic inlet is not too much to fix.

Where the hose connects, is fixable with jb weld and a sleeve.

It sounds, like the hose clamp got too much force when tightening, and it cracked it.

Would have to see a picture before saying for sure. Yet, you are willing to argue it...

radiatorbarn.com has decent new ones, free shipping i think, and lifetime warranty.

picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=1998

OK, maybe you can tell us all how this is not part of the tank. :rolleyes:

If the inlet is brittle enough to break than the radiator itself is also getting too brittle.

Replace it!

The plastic they make the tanks of is very heat sensitive. Up to a cartain temperature they are fine, just a little hotter and it goes brittle and they crack.

Once your car has boiled they are always suspect after that and it pays to have the top tank in particular replaced while they are cleaning the radiator if you have done a head gasket.

Here the top tank is about seventy dollars where the whole new radiator is six hundred dollars. Those are Kiwi dollars I'm talking.

All the radiator shops in my region will not service a plastic tanked radiator. It would be a lot less expensive for the end-user if they would though.