Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the possible death of the sedan

might be dead as of 1:44 eastern time tonight. I hit a rock hard. Smashed the bumper apart. Driver side fender is toast. I have to see if the radiator support is bad too. I think it is since the hood is sitting up. Its snowing outside so who knows. This sucks. Ive been with the car for over 5 years now and its the best car ive ever had. Ill take pictures tomorrow.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might be dead as of 1:44 eastern time tonight. I hit a rock hard. Smashed the bumper apart. Driver side fender is toast. I have to see if the radiator support is bad too. I think it is since the hood is sitting up. Its snowing outside so who knows. This sucks. Ive been with the car for over 5 years now and its the best car ive ever had. Ill take pictures tomorrow.

My sympathies.....:mad: goddoggie I know this sucks for you. TRy to make the best of it. Personal opinion at first sight of this was that maybe you'll consider a western replacement and transpose all the goodness of yours onto it.

Good luck my friend. Youch! :-\ I sure hope you work something out that keeps you in the vintage Subaru circle of knuckleheads.

My buddy matt (autobody tech) is coming over to look it over with me and see what he thinks as to if its worth saving or not. One way or another im not leaving vintage subarus. I may be on the hunt for a replacement to transport all the goodies from mine. I have one in mind already.... Thank you everyone for your support. This is why i love this board.

i hit a deer in my legacy @ 70 mph, it was a good shot. i think i have a thread on here about it with pic's too.

it went well and i can't stand body work. i suggest just put enough work into it to get it running/drivable. you might be surprised how easy it goes back together and be confident in what it will take to get it perfect later (summer).

i was very surprised, it only took me about an hour or 2 to get it drivable again.

mine only sustained damage to the upper radiator support - those things are flimsy and hardly anything to consider structural, so they're easy to bend back in to place. lower one would likely be more annoying. if you can weld you should easily be in business though. even if you can't i'd probably bolt a steel plate/channel under there and make your radiator fit.

Well it was a bit worse than i thought. The drivers side framerail is kinked, fender is pushed back, radiator support is toast. Rough estimate to get it right would be about 4 hours on a frame machine to pull it back out at 89 dollars an hour. Then factoring in cost of parts to throw on it and i have no clue if its worth it or not. I have to do some calling around and get some ideas of how much it will cost to get it up and driveable again.

This really sucks Steve.. if you want.. we could try yanking the frame to somewhat straight with my Amigo ..I have the tow straps and all. ( Plus I have been having entirely too much fun playing with it the past few days... This thing is about unstoppable)

Did some more calculating. 500 dollars to fix it. Unfortunately the way its kinked it needs a frame machine to get it right again. Then on top of that 500 there is the parts to fix it..like fender/bumper and lower front trim. The end result is its not worth fixing and will be pulled apart for what i have on it.

The good news...i already have a new EA81. Ill let that set in for a bit. Hint...2 doors..and rust free.

I've got a pretty mint 84 T-wagon that probably wouldn't mind being shipped to much. Stock white with a REALLY nice blue interior. It has a rebuilt EA81T sitting in the back of it awaiting install for someone with time. Needs a title hunted up, but, it's clear. Let me know if you're interested. I'll probably be including it in a FOR SALE thread here fairly shortly.

Dude this is just a thought......

If that car means so much to you, why not spend the $$ on the frame straightener. People may be nice enough to toss you some parts just out of the kindness of their hearts.

Once I had a motorcycle (Yamaha Roadstar Warrior) I downed the bike. Broke my heart. I told my fellow board memebers. Before I knew it new (used) parts were showing up at my doorstep. There were enought parts to put the bike back together, and rideable again in no time :banana:

Something to ponder......

-Caleb

Uh . NO! .. LB aint for sale..LOL.. actually my friend I bought my Amigo from is planning on coming back to CT permanently ( Yay!!! Happy Day) and we are going to go to town on LB.. he is hookin me up!!

Oh good!! It was just a thought. So What have you got in store then????

Ive thought about that too but to be honest...after running the numbers it just doesnt make sense when i can get another one cheaper..that has no rust at all. Mine will live on in the new one. Trust me it wasnt an easy decision at all. Here are the pics as promised. The one inside the engine bay was meant to show the buckled framrail but its hard to see.

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Ugh..At first,it doesn't look too bad. But,the angle of the hood latch hole and the gaps between the radiator and core support,well,that looks pretty bad.

Sorry,man. Any clean ea81 that gets smashed really hurts.Especially one on your guy's side. But, it looks like you have a ton of good parts for your next ride.