Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the possible death of the sedan

But ...

Opinions from folks thousands of miles away can be a bit unrealistic. This is Connecticut,not backwoods bumschmuk USA. Rates are outrageous here. Paying for the effort and parts and shipping and so much more like paint and the time its all going to take....

Well you're in luck, backwoods bumschmuk USA is only 2 1/2 hours north of you!

All I'm saying is to do enough straightening to make it driveable again. Not restore it to it's former glory. Put it through the risks and rust of winter and then move on in the summer.

Looks like I did a pretty good job of pissin in people's wheaties. Mabey I shouldn't post on sundays.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're in luck, backwoods bumschmuk USA is only 2 1/2 hours north of you!

All I'm saying is to do enough straightening to make it driveable again. Not restore it to it's former glory. Put it through the risks and rust of winter and then move on in the summer.

Looks like I did a pretty good job of pissin in people's wheaties. Mabey I shouldn't post on sundays.

OK,you do that. :lol: Come on kid,check the end of my post and get over it.

This is not the "I can save the day by getting someone to overwork,overpay,and still fall short of their goal" thread.

:horse:

Lol, this is turning out to be a fairly amusing thread...

And Steve, I don't know you personally, but I would HIGHLY recommend

investing in a skid plate and bash bar as found on the 4x4 Subes for your new

coupe if you're gonna do any sort of off-roading.

Twitch

HAHAHAH i dont know if u meant that to be funny or not but i thought it was. Nah i dont offroad and the coupe is 2wd so that kinda kills any offroading fun. Only the front of my car went off roading this time...right into a rock shaped like a pick axe. Good times.

I just pulled the fender off as well as the lower trim and bumper. For some damn reason this grill on this car refuses to die. It was in a accident on my first subaru ( a hatch) back in highschool and only got a small little crack that is not noticeable when mounted. All it did was get another and its still in good shape. amazing. But back to the car.....

The lower radiator support is moved in about 5-6 inches. Also measured the square of the nose. Its off by about a hair under 1/2 an inch. I hit it harder than i thought.

Well small bit of news. I have another friend who owns and autobody shop that i had talked to about 2 weeks ago about hiring me. Well i just gave him a call today and he said to drive the suby over on thursday and he would take a look at it to see if it can be straightened on his machine. From the sound of it he might even let me do the straightening since if i mess up its my car and cant blame anyone but myself. If he will let me do my own straightening then the sedan stays. If not the coupe comes into play.

Wow,I sure do wish you luck with that one. I think you know my opinion already. :lol: He'd better be a really good friend.

haha. Well im still leaning towards the coupe but if i can save this one for less and still have it looking good and lining up then i dont see the harm. But yea hes just going to look at it on thursday and ill decide then for sure.

I have a front in bumper turn bezels, and i got the center grille emblem if the rest of your grille is usable.

I also have a pretty decent side marker light.

I have a newer style 84-87 brat style bumper too, with a slight cut on the end was on my BRAT til i found a more minty one.

If you need more, holla

I say do what you can to fix this one up, AND get the coupe. If you can get a solid coupe for cheap, jump on it!!! But if you can save the one you have for the price of your time, do that too!!

Well it wouldnt be just the price of my time. I would still have to find a fender, bumper, drivers side light surrounds, radiator, and lower radiator support trim. If that ends up adding up to too much then the coupe is a no brainer. Coupe is still probably a no brainer lol.

As for the grill emblem...would you believe when i went back to the scene the next day to get the license plate, the grill emblem was lying there not broken or scratched! I thought that was ridiculous. All it did was pop out from the impact.

Well it wouldnt be just the price of my time. I would still have to find a fender, bumper, drivers side light surrounds, radiator, and lower radiator support trim. If that ends up adding up to too much then the coupe is a no brainer. Coupe is still probably a no brainer lol.

As for the grill emblem...would you believe when i went back to the scene the next day to get the license plate, the grill emblem was lying there not broken or scratched! I thought that was ridiculous. All it did was pop out from the impact.

I've got a set of Headlights and surronds I'll donate if you decide to fix it.

Heck.....might be a good 4wd conversion and lift candidate now......:grin::slobber:

I have a front in bumper turn bezels, and i got the center grille emblem if the rest of your grille is usable.

I also have a pretty decent side marker light.

I have a newer style 84-87 brat style bumper too, with a slight cut on the end was on my BRAT til i found a more minty one.

If you need more, holla

I dont think the brat bumper will work on a 2wd. The mounts are all different. Im sure if i found 4wd mounts it would work but then it wouldnt match the rear bumper. Thanks for the offer though. Ill keep it in mind.

Steve.. I have the light surrounds and another radiator for you.. As for the bumper..guess what.. its sedan and coupe specific.. ask me how I know this LOL.. so I guess I need to go back on the search for another rear bumper ..LOL

h BTW .. the stuff I have for you is donated..no cost.. I will see what else I can come up with too.

. so I guess I need to go back on the search for another rear bumper ..LOL

h BTW .. the stuff I have for you is donated..no cost.. I will see what else I can come up with too.

Thanks Connie and Paul and everyone. I will let people know definitively thursday if its staying or going to get replaced. No guarantees that you have to get back on that search. Oh and btw the bumper would be a donation to LB too :)

That car is definitely fixable, get it fixed. Keep it as a winter beater and use the coupe in the non-salt driving season. I have 3 registered subie's one for daily beater, one for 4 wheelin, and one for classic cruzin.

Variety is the spice of life.

That car is definitely fixable, get it fixed. Keep it as a winter beater and use the coupe in the non-salt driving season. I have 3 registered subie's one for daily beater, one for 4 wheelin, and one for classic cruzin.

Variety is the spice of life.

Hey Pete. Im def thinking about getting it fixed. Its just going to be fun finding the remaining pieces in decent shape here in new england. Wait didnt you have a good fender in your barn? I cant remember if it was drivers or passenger side though.

:eek::eek::eek: Holy crap! I need to come on the board more often! :eek::eek::eek:

...why am I just finding out about this NOW? :-\

Steve, obviously and first of all... VERY sorry about your sedan bro. At least youre not hurt.

After reading this whole thread (and your last post about fixing your car) ...I just want you to know that you have one more person backing you with support and parts.

Anything funky that you may not be able to get I can see about ordering out of Japan if its economically feasable.

NOW.... while youre in there repairing, you KNOW there is no better time to pull that engine and build it! :headbang:

Lets do this.

:popcorn:

Haha no worries John. And i would be pulling the motor and building it up if it wasnt my only mod of transport..that and the whole money thing :). Im going in for a job interview this afternoon and i have another sorta informal one tomorrow at the bodyshop so we shall see. One way or the other as i said im not leaving old subarus.

Ah decisions decisions.

Just got back from the body shop. He didnt think it was all that bad. Said i could throw him a 100 and he would show me how to pull it on the frame machine. So there is 100 right there. Now the only thing left to get are some parts and paint and im in business. The only thing i worry about is...if it gets to 400 im STILL left with a car with some rust. The benefit is that i dont have to switch registrations and such so i guess i still win in the end even if it does hit close to that number.