Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine oil in my air filter

So I noticed a little engine oil in my air cleaner box the other day. today when I checked there was A LOT of oil and it was bubbly. it wasnt brown and foamy like when you get water in the oil, it simply looked like a straw had blown bubbles through it.

the oil seems to be coming UP through the breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner. if my haynes manual serves me right it shows air should be going DOWN from the air cleaner to the valve cover. anyway this is part of the PCV system I guess and I really dont have any Idea how bad it is on a scale from a 1 dollar part to a new engine.

'87 brat.

I too am seeing alot of oil in the air filter housing. Thought I'd see how the pvc valve was doing. Looked in the manuel, but everything I read says the valve is connected with a clamp on a big rubber hose. I think I have located the valve, left of the egr and threaded into the manifold at a 45 degree angle. But mine is hard piped with a metal tube. Also has a metal shield around it.

Any thoughts, thanks. dp