Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Club Torn-Boot, '84 GL now a member

So I found a tear on the DOJ boot PS. I think I found it just after it happened. Just a couple of drops of grease in the surrounding areas & no clicking sounds. Found it after checking the gear oil level (luckily I do this very often).

I'm going to pull the axle and replace the boot, and while I'm at it replace the front bearings too.

Local Autozone only has the universal junk withe glued seem. I did find this one at partsgeek.com:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/YN/D360-K6020.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=84+1984+Subaru+GL+CV+Boot+OEQ+Front+Inner+83+1983+Subaru+CV+Boot+4WD+Wagon+Turbocharged&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

I was wondering, well two things...

1. this part indicates for the turbo motor; can i presume that this will fit on a non-turbo 1.8?

2. does anyone know of heat-resistant boots for the 84 GL. I see alot of the heat-resistant ones available for the newer gens, but not the old gens.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide... many thanks in advance!

EDIT: after searching for Brat boots, found this heat-resitant one:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1984/subaru/brat/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/cv_boot_kit.html

I suppose Brats boots anfd GLs boots are interchangeable... ?

Edited by '84 Flat-Four

Brat and GLs are the same exact beast under the skin. That boot is the one you want since the passenger side DOJ is prone to cracking apart from the heat of the exhaust right under it. Im referring to the last link you posted. Go for it. Especially since your joint isnt making any noise. Just make sure there is no junk in there...throw a bit of extra grease in and you should be good to go. Since it "just" happened it should be fine. Otherwise i would be advising you to replace the entire axle but no noise and fresh tear means try the boot.

You probably wont hear any clicking from the DOJ, just the CV. A bad DOJ will cause vibration though. You could take a piece of scrap steel and make an additional heat shield to help out. Just make sure there is a spase between the existing one and the shield for air to flow between them.

Cool!

Existing heat shield? :-\ Didn't come with one... just the dang pipe naked as a newborn...

I guess a torn boot should have been expected, huh?

So around these parts we don't have 80s Soobs at the JY. So I was thinking maybe other Soobs exhaust pipe heat shields could maybe fit,... maybe slightly modified? After all this boot is heat-resistant, not heat-proof...

I've fashioned a few heatshields out of aluminum roof flashing. Small roll of it is fairly cheap, and it's easy to work with. Comes in assorted widths.

Gloves are sorta needed, but some tinsnips and a couple wormscrew type hose clamps and you're in business.

Cut it longer than you think you need, then cut some slits in it, bend those to make your stand-offs, attach to pipe(s) with the clamps.

It's not a "permanant" fix, but it will get you by. Heat and vibration will determine how long it lasts. But it works. Easily replaced when needed.

Around here, trying to find a decent replacement in better shape than what's under the vehicle is basically futile. One does what one has to do.