Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanting Help----My New "89 Omega

hey guys,

im new here and dont know where to put this sorry.

I live in New Zealand and hav brought my "1989 Subaru Omega GL" today for $600

I am wanting to know...

1 Why is this the only one I have seen with the raised roof over the back seats and boot

2 Is there any way to fix or make my hydrolic lifters SHUTUP or be quieter?!

3 What are the stud patterns for the rims on these bad boys

4 What size tyre could be squeezed on the stock rims (need something for offroad)

5 Can EJ's be put in? it has a EA86 in it but want a wee bit more grunt/reliability

and if anyone has some neat tricks to do with my type of car, I'm listening...

Thank you for taking time to have a look at my post and possibly answering some of my questions

Your lifter noise(TOD tick of death) is either lack of proper maintence and the lifters are gunked up, or bad oil pump seals allowing the oil pump to suck in a little air and the air in the lifters is preventing them from being pumped up. I don't know what kind of stuff you have over there, but here I've used SeaFoam, Rislone, and Marvels Mystery Oil all with good results. Some have poured in a quart or two of auto tranny fluid, let idle ten minutes or so, drain and change oil. Some have used Kerosene that way too to clean out the lifters.

With the sea foam, I've had the car get quiet after ten minutes idling.

Only wheels with the same pattern are Peugeot wheels.

Also, toyota, nissan, isuzu 6 lugs can be adapted, or the hubs adapted for those wheels. those should be easier to come by over there. Do a search for 6 lug swap.

Ej swaps are common anymore, you need to make an adapter for the engine/tranny to bolt together.

Good to meet ya man, I'm in NZ too and have an 89' Omega myself, although its a DL.

The raised roof is the touring edition I believe - Something mine doesn't have (although I wish it did!)

About the lifters, everyone in the states uses Seafoam, but seeing as we don't have that, I like to use something called Fortron Lifter-Free that Repco sells. It seems to do the trick, though I keep putting bottles in with every oil change. Haven't found a permanent solution yet.

Stud pattern is 4x140.

Once again, check out Repco, they deal with some guys called Concorde who sell Speedy Wheels, who make steel rims (Desert Rat is the name i think) in 4x140, which are IIRC 14" x 7" wide. Other than that you're pretty screwed. I've searched all around for the 504 and 505 rims, and they're pretty hard to come by. Or you can just drill some 6-stud Nissan or Toyota wheels out, but be smart and keep a set of standards for warrant time, or you won't get one.

And the EJ engine? Definitely. EJ22 is the most common swap, but they're pretty rare over here, and were only imported into NZ as EFI.

You can swap the headers and carb off an EJ18 onto them, and AFAIK thats the only way to get a carbed EJ22 around here. Just wished they'd come out over here as a turbo model!!

Untitled-1.jpg

That's my old girl crossing a river up the Onamalutu in Marlborough. :D