Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy L tire recommendations?

Hi Subie experts, it's time for me to get some new all seasons for my '98 Legacy L. For some reason when I bought her (used) she came with 195/75R14 but I understand she should have 185/70R14. I'm thinking of going down to the proper size (to improve the speedometer accuracy). I can re-use the same (steel) rims, right? Is there any reason I should stick with the larger size?

Also, I'd appreciate your recommendations on good rain tires. Based on Tire Rack's ratings I'm leaning towards the Michelin HydroEdge for their wet performance. Does anybody have experience with this tire? Are there any other rain tires you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help,

Rik

Your cars recommended tire size should be listed on the loading information sticker in the drivers door jamb.

Not a huge difference between a 195/70 and a 185/75. The 195 is a centimeter wider, and mathematically, a few mm shorter though there is little noticeable difference visually. The speedometer is hardly affected by such a small change in circumference, which can be seen as a percentage thanks to this site: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The 195 will hold the road slightly better (wider footprint).

TireRacks ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt. Those are consumer submitted ratings, and are often based on the consumers experience with previous tires.

Frinstance: Kumho tires. I had a set on a car several years ago, two of them blew out on me for no apparent reason while driving on the interstate. (separate occasions) Tires fault? Maybe, maybe not, doesn't matter, I've never bought another set since. I know dozens of other people who run Kumho's on their DDs, and see the brand on many, many other vehicles on the road from passenger cars, to 1 Ton pickups to tractor trailers. Yet I still don't/won't buy them due to MY previous experience with that particular brand of tires. Make sense? :rolleyes:

I UPGRADED my 97 Brighton wagon to 15" Forester wheels that I got used, with 195 / 60 - 15 tires and the difference in handling was significantly better and no change in ride comfort.

Put good snow tires on the 14's. Gives you a good and cheap winter/summer set. 60's aren't that great in the snow.