Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for Photos and info

I would really like photos of the engine bay and interior because everything I've seen there is no roll cage :eek:

I might just sell my coil over set and go with standard 4wd suspension with a slight re-valve.

Sweet!!! Do that..but keep the gold enkeis :)

If you do end up selling the coil overs and such let me know. I may be interested. Im looking for better handling.

They did run the EA82t but in a highly modified form. I have no idea how they kept them together.

I figured they might have some sort of performance aditions done to them, they held up cause they are not daliy drivers, your not putting 1000x's of miles on them and depending on them for such a long time, hell after each season, they could do a total tear-down, replace everything, maybe even a new shortblock. Still very cool!

Jump over any crests yet? LOL!!

Tear down each year?

The factory teams would be putting a fresh (rebuilt) motor after each event.

Even the privateers over here usually had a spare complete motor ready, and the top teams would certainly have been checking them.

Group A regs I think would have allowed some work to the engine, decking the block and those rings that press into the head & block around the cylinder bore (can't remember their name). This would've helped with the head gasket issues.

No intercoolers. Not allowed under Group A rules.

Why is that number so hard to believe?

My 2.0L turbo Toyota 4 cylinder (3S-GTE) produces 280hp (191kW) standard from the factory. Admittedly it is intercooled & twin cam.

Some XT engine variants had larger valves, and I've seen one of these with an aftermarket ECU produce 140hp straight from an importer.

Some judious mods, properly hand built engine, non-factory ECU, larger turbo, the right fuel with higher octane and 190hp would be easily gained.

No intercoolers. Not allowed under Group A rules.

Why is that number so hard to believe?

My 2.0L turbo Toyota 4 cylinder (3S-GTE) produces 280hp (191kW) standard from the factory. Admittedly it is intercooled & twin cam.

Some XT engine variants had larger valves, and I've seen one of these with an aftermarket ECU produce 140hp straight from an importer.

Some judious mods, properly hand built engine, non-factory ECU, larger turbo, the right fuel with higher octane and 190hp would be easily gained.

Yup some where about 190hp.

I was talking to a guy that used to own possums old 1985 RX Sedan rally car. He told me it produced close to 190hp.

Told we alot of info about it but couldnt remember every thing now...

But for the whole time this guy raced it he never had nething go wrong with it. I think he didf have one prob with blowing a tire or turbo wasnt boosting right once.

I cant for the life of me remember where I saw it, but somewhere I saw instructions for all the pieces that needed to be reinforced on the RX to be a Subaru sponsored rally car, and pics of the reinforcement peices and where they get welded to the car. It was interesting, it was like a complete how-to to build a factory RX rally car, shame I cant remember where it was.....

-Bill

I cant for the life of me remember where I saw it, but somewhere I saw instructions for all the pieces that needed to be reinforced on the RX to be a Subaru sponsored rally car, and pics of the reinforcement peices and where they get welded to the car. It was interesting, it was like a complete how-to to build a factory RX rally car, shame I cant remember where it was.....

-Bill

Ive got some copys of that info some where too.. Its very hard to read what they scanned. I would like to get my hands on a RX sedan to build a repilca off possums group A Car ( I think it was group A ) he been with the Subaru Rally team since 82 or 83.

I will hunt around for the site but if it cant be found I have the pages on my comp to post up later, theres 18 or so detailing engine trans and chasis mods.

It was on an aussie or kiwi site.

I am also interested in see'n more pictures of rally prepared leones as that is the direction my car is quickly headed. I start my cage next week so I am particularly interested in those

Sam

post-20888-136027638499_thumb.jpg

post-20888-136027638507_thumb.jpg

Hey Kiwi Subbie, My local Subaru mechanic is none other than Snow Mooney, Possum's rally mechanic during his first couple of seasons with the Subarus. I'm not sure if he was around during the 84/85 season where Possum got the works drive but I could ask him for some info if you like. I'm pretty sure he worked with Possum from 81-84ish

Hey Kiwi Subbie, My local Subaru mechanic is none other than Snow Mooney, Possum's rally mechanic during his first couple of seasons with the Subarus. I'm not sure if he was around during the 84/85 season where Possum got the works drive but I could ask him for some info if you like. I'm pretty sure he worked with Possum from 81-84ish

That would be awesum to get that info dude :)

In Christchurch we also got one of possums old mechanics. I think he worked with him in the latter years.

He has his old 555 legacy wagon, 1 wrx rally car and the truck. Good guy to have work on your subbie