Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick rear main question

I got the clutch and flywheel off the back of the motor to check the rear main (figuring why not its out of the car might as well). I think its fine at first but then i press on the inner seal (there are two a bigger one which is the rear main and a smaller one inside the bolt holes). The smaller one seems to be seeping a bit. What is it and is it part of the rear main? Never having done a rear main i dont know what to look for. There was way way more oil down low at the oil pan than above. It looked to me like rather than having a rear main leak the oil pan leak was getting blown up by the flywheel.

Early morning bump. I pulled the middle seal (the one on the inside of the bolt hole circle) and it was the one that was seeping a bit...but heres the thing..it looked fine. It was still very rubbery and pliable. Im not sure whats going on here. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

That seal is just for the pilot bearing, there will be no engine oil in that area.

Behind it you should find a pilot bearing or bushing depends on which one got put in there.

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. The pilot bearing is in the flywheel. Im talking about the seal that is on the inside of the bolt holes on the back of the crank. There is the rear main..then the bolt holes on the crank...then inside them is this rubber seal. I pulled it out and looked behind and there was engine oil behind it but im wondering if it was just from the way i angled the motor out of the bay.

I think you need to post a picture.

It sounds to me as though you have pulled the seal out of a spigot bearing. Was the seal about thirty mills in diameter?

The crank seal is about one-hundred mills in diameter and it's outside of the crank's bolt holes.

I think that is part of the pilot bearing as suggested.

There is a flywheel o ring of similar size nearby.

You have a leak somewhere there.

I`d relace the rear main seal and clean and seal those bolt holes well.

Edited by naru

well the oil down below is mostly from the oilpan. But yea i guess when in doubt replace it. There was a good amount of oil around that middle seal and some oil on one or two of the flywheel bolts. how should i got about sealing the bolts? RTV the threads?

FSM wants you to use 3 Bond 1215 and let it dry 10 minutes on the bolts before installition.

I would use silicone for sealer and remove all oil from the threads w/brake clean,intake cleaner,acetone or similar.Tricky part will be cleaning the holes w/o knocking bits of the old silicone? into the engine.Caution here!

I suppose you could remove the flywheel housing to be extra sure.

FSM wants you to use 3 Bond 1215 and let it dry 10 minutes on the bolts before installition.

I would use silicone for sealer and remove all oil from the threads w/brake clean,intake cleaner,acetone or similar.Tricky part will be cleaning the holes w/o knocking bits of the old silicone? into the engine.Caution here!

I suppose you could remove the flywheel housing to be extra sure.

until now i didnt even realize the bolts go all the way through. I think those are more of my oil leak than anything else but while im back there i might as well replace it.

until now i didnt even realize the bolts go all the way through. I think those are more of my oil leak than anything else but while im back there i might as well replace it.

I don`t remember 100% for sure if they do,but,sealant is called for so they must.

Ok well i replaced the rear main today but i think i need to do it again. I dented the gasket putting it in so that the outer lip where it touches the crank is pushed in a bit. So annoyed right now. I think i need to go borrow the tool to install it right. Otherwise this happens. And no i didnt use a screwdriver.

Steve do you need me to come do it?? I am actually good at doing the seals....without the tool... its only when I allow others to do it that they get messed up...hehehehe

haha sure come on over. I got another one on order for tomorrow morning. Take two. I also called up my mechanic and he told me a few tricks to get it in. One of the biggest things is the permatex that is called for in HTKYSA manual. He says not to bother and to put a bit of oil on the outside of the seal to help it in a little. I think that will be how i end up getting it in without messing it up unless you or anyone else has a better way.