Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer inspects 10 year old air bags

I think the worry was that the bags would dry out and crack where they are folded, resulting in improper deployment when/if the airbags should ever be deployed.

The only way to "inspect" them really is to disassemble with special tools and in controlled areas and a bunch of nonsense, so basically if you take it to a dealer to have them "checked" they'll want to replace them. (at a cost of about $1500 a peice) Either that or they'll just tell you straight up that there's really no need, then pull the whole if you're concerned about safety you should buy a newer car bit and send you off to the sales department. :rolleyes:

There's no need, and they're expensive.

Airbags are not quite like tires, you can't just go to the local tireshop and get new ones.

People THAT concerned with having them inspected, probably should just buy a new car.

Nothing lasts forever, and true, airbags after aging can deteorate etc. Wear your seatbelt, or get a new car.

The seatbelt is just as safe.

Having new tires, good suspension, good eyesight, etc, etc is more concerning than having your air bags inspected.

does the airbag light come on when you first turn the key, along with all the other warning lights?

If so, and then it goes off when the other warning lights go off, its good. A dealer can check that for you if you are not aware how to check, and yes they will charge to do so. They are NOT going to inspect your bags even if you ask.

It,s not like inspection stations require the airbag inspections......they check the warning light on it.

Its highly probable that of 10 year old and older cars on the road, only half still have functioning airbags. Its also probable that 100% of them still work. Even brand new cars are shown to not have airbags deploy when they are supposed to.

That is why, I recommend, WEAR your seatbelt. Seatbelts work.

Edited by bheinen74

Never heard of anyone doing the test or following through with these kinds of things. May be required by law?

You probably own dozens (if not hundreds) of things that "require" things like this. essentially CYA on the manufacturers part.

You fire alarms have a date stamped in them with a replacement date. My guess is most, in older homes, are way beyond that date. and on and on....

At the time when the car was made, no one was really sure how long the airbag system would remain functioning, hence the ten year window. It has been shown that cars with the very first airbags in 1980 was still functional as of today, so no one is really worried about it anymore.

nipper

I think what you need to do is take your Outback in and have them test it and while they are doing it watch and then post back here so that we know what is being done. It will save me the same problem with mine since I have the same sticker. :grin:

I think what you need to do is take your Outback in and have them test it and while they are doing it watch and then post back here so that we know what is being done. It will save me the same problem with mine since I have the same sticker. :grin:

Its been covered on other baords. they just hook up the diagnostive equipment and scan the system for faults.

nipper

I have decided not to have the dealer inspect the air bags. My dash light comes on with a turn of ignition key, then goes out upon starting the car, so I think all is well with my air bags. Like someone said, the seat belts are still the best defense, if involved in an auto accident.

how to they test your airbag if the airbag computer is in a landfill somewhere?:grin:

storage space from a non airbag center counsel is great.

If you take it to them to test like that, they will not let your car leave til they put the controller in it (liability issue), plus they can make quick easy money selling you one....and installing it and such. I agree, there is lots of room to be gotten back with all this stuff in there. Anyone notice how the interiors of cars these days are so tiny, now they have to cram in the side airbags, the front airbags, the seat airbags, etc. Give us more space if we want it.

Edited by bheinen74