Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing engine bay undercoating garbage

my new EA81 coupe has a really ugly engine bay cause of the dealership yellowish crap that they sprayed on when this thing was new. I am using oven cleaner right now and thats getting the dirt out of the bay really well but not removing this undercoating. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting rid of it? It looks terrible.

Have you shown pics of this new coupe yet? Maybe I just missed them.

Haha no i havent. I was going to post up some pics of the whole process once i had it up and running but ill post a couple teasers. here is what my garage looks like. Sedan is to the right.

IMG_1476.jpg

Coupe engine about to come out

IMG_1477.jpg

Engine and tranny out

IMG_1478.jpg

My buddy Matt showing his love of subarus LMAO:lol: Thats the motor and tranny from the sedan out.

Take some old rags/towells soak them w/ kerosene/gas/paint thinner/ or even water... and lay them on the metal pannels in the engine bay for a few days. Then go at it w/ a putty knife....be carful not to scratch the paint. You could also paint the engine bay w/ old motor oil, let it soak in for a few days, and then try scraping. The trick is getting it off w/o scratching/destroying the paint underneath. Now if I only had a trick to remove the asphalt undercoating from my 56 Bug.

Take some old rags/towells soak them w/ kerosene/gas/paint thinner/ or even water... and lay them on the metal pannels in the engine bay for a few days. Then go at it w/ a putty knife....be carful not to scratch the paint. You could also paint the engine bay w/ old motor oil, let it soak in for a few days, and then try scraping. The trick is getting it off w/o scratching/destroying the paint underneath. Now if I only had a trick to remove the asphalt undercoating from my 56 Bug.

if you find anything let me know my 58bug and 82 singlecab both have the same problem

look on the bright side no more fixing rust for a while at least :rolleyes:

HAHA thats what u think. I thought it was rust free until i really looked. Its got rust..but not much. Its going to be cake to fix from my practice on the sedan. That will be done in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Been using Gummout tar/bug remover. It was on sale at Walmart for 2$ a can. Sprayed and soaked for a few days. Works pretty good, got about 75% of the undercoating off of the bug.

Oh nice Pete. I gotta try that at somepoint then. For now i gave up trying to make it look perfect under the hood and am focused on getting it on the road again.