Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Propane Brat Conversion

mrgrindle

Hi All,

I have a 1979 Brat I was having carb issues with, I tried a few different carbs with no improvement in function. The engine bay was kind of a hack job when I got it so my main problems were likely due to vacuum leaks. I also had a hole in the gas tank.

So... one day I decided to convert it to propane, I purchase a kit normally for the Suzuki Samurai from GotPropane.com and he made an adapter for the Subaru bolt pattern. The removal of the old fuel system and installation of the new took about 4 hours and now the car runs the same every time, with more power.

The car now has a ten gallon tank that doubles as a footrest for back seat passengers, the tank gets me about 200 miles. Propane has been cheaper than gas since I did the conversion, but this car is not my daily driver, so I am not really reaping the rewards. It is cool to have an alternative fueled vehicle and propane does count toward the 50 cent per gallon alternative fuel credit.

l_522b9db2481df8bc2d8aed828ca519a9.jpg

l_37c96e98e0e0b94df8e5b5a444066fe7.jpg

l_d17716610c914ec9821a5239b574edc2.jpg

l_754b76f1ea2d47ad750fc2bf0a742a26.jpg

l_c88294b90c596f8b724bb4aa7103baa4.jpg

l_4801f89662eaa4a2b3df20279f685942.jpg

Edited by mrgrindle
More Pictures

What did the kit run you? I might want to go this route with my lifted Brat.

EDIT: OUCH. Just checked the website and the kit for the samurai is 695$ not including having the adapter made to fit the ea engine. Thats close to an ej swap.

Edited by Jibs

Lol thats alot neater than my underbonnet conversion....wish i could have got a proper LPG carb when i was doing my conversion...it is alot better looking than my homemade carb. nice job on the conversion....just out of curiosity what ignition timing are you running?...when i had my ea81 on LPG i was running so far advanced that i was off the timing marks on the flywheel