Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Paint Job

Anyone have a problem with painters being to artistic. I can apreciate a guy wanting to hone his craft and do a good job. But when i say i want a simple primer coat sprayed on a car and i get told no i dont do that then wtf. I kinda figured people would be hard pressed for cash and could use money. All there is doing is spraying the car, im supplying the paint.

Its most likely less that they are too artistic and more that they dont want their name and the name of the business associated with a half-done car. Ya know? Someone asks who did the priming and you say them and they will think..why didnt they finish it..im not bringing my car there. That scenario may never happen but i think thats more the reason why they dont want to do it. Not to mention why do you just want primer? Are you going to paint it yourself afterwards? If you leave it in primer it will just rust in a hurry.

I color man, 1 color is all i want. Its 4, maroon, black, white and orange rust. And it was a craigslist add so i assume it would be done in some dudes garage. I sh*t you not im about just to get some friggin spray cans and do it in the apartment parking lot. If you put paint on thick enough you can sand it down to look decent. Its not breaking any hearts as it sits now so what difference does it make if its in primer or not. Not trying to bust anyones buns here but if i had the means, give the guy what he wants and then be done with it. If no one will do it this spring for cheep ill do it myself this summer, i already have most of the stuff just lack a place to do it.

I color man, 1 color is all i want. Its 4, maroon, black, white and orange rust. And it was a craigslist add so i assume it would be done in some dudes garage. I sh*t you not im about just to get some friggin spray cans and do it in the apartment parking lot. If you put paint on thick enough you can sand it down to look decent. Its not breaking any hearts as it sits now so what difference does it make if its in primer or not. Not trying to bust anyones buns here but if i had the means, give the guy what he wants and then be done with it. If no one will do it this spring for cheep ill do it myself this summer, i already have most of the stuff just lack a place to do it.

I hear ya

you can do it yourself get some Omni single coat and a cheep harbor freight gun and borrow a air compressor ,Ive done one out under the trees and it came out good, also people have had good luck with these small foam throw away rollers , go with a light color it will hide most the flaws

Primer is flat and absorbs moisture, that's why it will rust quick. You could do the roll-on rustoleum paint job, but it'll fade if you don't keep it waxed real well. If you're not too picky on color, I'd go with a smooth hammerite thinned with xylene. It retains it's gloss much better than rusto, and probably rivals true auto paint in hardness. Roll it on anywhere...no worries about over-spray or compressors. If you didn't mind the look of it, you could even go hammered paint, and have it done in only two coats without having to worry about surface imperfections. :banana:

But if i use primer, when rust showes up, sand alittle, more primer and then done. Its not a nice car guys, dont get me wrong i like my car but when it comes down to it, its just a beater. I just want my beater to be 1 color. IF i had a car with not so much rust then we could talk different but oh boy theres rust.picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1646

primer is very very porous, like a sponge. it is this way to make paint stick to it.

Primer alone will actually cause it to rust faster if not topped with paint right away, because the pores atract mositure.

A good painter will not simply just prime a car. that is why.

the sooner (like think immediately when the primter dries on its own is the exact right time to paint)a prime gets top coated the better it looks, the better it sticks, and the longer it holds up.

Edited by bheinen74

primer is very very porous, like a sponge. it is this way to make paint stick to it.

Primer alone will actually cause it to rust faster if not topped with paint right away, because the pores atract mositure.

the sooner (like think immediately when the primter dries on its own is the exact right time to paint)a prime gets top coated the better it looks, the better it sticks, and the longer it holds up.

+1

The same sanding could be done with any paint as rust appears, it just wont show as easily. You'd have to look for bubbling only, instead of discoloration, but a good paint like hammerite will slow the rusting to a crawl. It is glossy, non-absorbant, and does not breathe. No air, no moisture...no rust. Cost is not bad either: $60/gallon compared to $35 for a basic alkyd primer. Oh, and it's primerless paint. Can you tell that I'm a paint salesman!?! :lol:

Ive used acrylic latex exterior house paint, it was the only flat paint i could get in custom colors, i wanted to do a camo paint scheme it has never faded or flaked off, i applied it over the OEM paint, wet sanded it with 120 grit wet dry sand paper. 20 dollars a gallon dutch boy. water soluble clean up. i did thin it and spray it with a hlvp gun . i guess you could roll it. maby you could rent a airless sprayer ??? i know everybody thinks im crazy

What are you saying here brent, are you saying i dont know what im talkin about. Are you telling me what to do, who the heck do you think you are. Your just wrong thats all just wrong. Your a silly smelly lama thats all.:grin: Sorry everone else gives you crap i guess i had to also. I guess what im saying is that im not painting my car primer thats not the route i was thinking about. But it is a flat color.SNV31880.jpg

i would go with the roll-on rustoleum. its easier to control when painting outside.

spray paint is faster and easier(if you are good with a can) but you will have to take more time in masking, and be out of the wind.

roll on is much less messy and you can get a thicker coat of paint.

i did this on my legacy, i sanded down the oem finish with 120 grit before applying the roll-on

I'd have my car painted by now if I had a spot too. I was thinking of renting one. Dont forget the cans of "primer sealer" that keep the rust away. Works like a champ for ongoing restore projects.

I'm gonna try the rodda mistints as they have a type of alkyd equipment enamel that comes in a few colors and only gloss I believe. I got three colors for $5 a can out of the local stores from the mistint stack. They say it should be sprayed on the can.

foam rollers from the dollar store, good masking tape,

i used sherwin - williams kem 4000 (i think) i did 2 coats with a foam roller - you need a few of them , don't bother washing them out.

first coat was pretty thick, 2nd was thinned a bit has an orange peel kind of texture - hides the dents. i used a whole gallon on a 64 f250 - a suby would be less. get a gallon of MP thinners and wipe down everything before you paint, sand/scratch up your paint a bit and go at it - all kinds of colors available. heres a crappy pic

64fordgreen1.jpg