Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the difference....

between a GL-10 and a GL?

What kind of luxury options (for 1987) were availble for these vehicles?

If 5 speed what axle options came with it if different from an auto?

New to Subaru's and found a GL 85 in local junkyard and was surprised how everything was power windows and other pretty nice options. Just wondering before I set myself on buying one. Thanks.

the gl10 came with all the accessories of the gl, with the addition of cruise control and trip computer, sunroof as standard equipment. Also the pluh seats with height adjust, and fold down rear seats in sedans. Digital dash also

for 5spd they had 25 spline axles(turbo) and the later models had 4eat trans(full time) with 25 spline axle as well. if its a 3spd auto, it came with 23 spline axles, but the DOJ is swappable with 25 spline.

full time 5spds and rear lsd were available as options

...Also wasn't the big difference between the the GL and GL10 was that the GL10 was a turbo? just asking/saying.

GL-10 "could" have been a turbo. But GL-10 does not mean turbo. GL-10s just had a few more standard options than the GLs. "most" of the options on a GL-10 you could order on a GL except for a select few. The digi dash comes to mind.

gl-10 WAS THE UPSCALE MODEL SO TURBO WAS OFFERED AS THE PREMIUM. i THINK YOU WOULDHAVE HAD TO SPECIAL ORDER(srry caps) a non turbo. the 86 gl-10 had spfi when the regular GL line was carb.

There are gl turbo models out there, turbo as an option to the gl trim line

Nope. Again you could have 4wd, or 2wd setups with the GL-10 line. Ive seen a fully optioned GL-10 wagon with power sunroof, digidash, cruise, power windows and everything you could imagine but...it was a 2wd automatic with SPFI.

If its full time 4wd it will say full time 4wd. If im not mistaken though i think only the RXs got that gearbox. Otherwise your looking at pushbutton (single range) or dual range 4wd.

If its full time 4wd it will say full time 4wd. If im not mistaken though i think only the RXs got that gearbox.

It wasn't common to be sure, but that tranny was also featured in a few of the turbo wagons. I have the "Full Time 4 Wheel Drive" 5 speed tranny in my wagon, which I pulled from another wagon at the j-yard. The donor wagon had the "FT4WD" decal on the side of the door, so it came with that car. This tranny is the forerunner of the modern trannys found in todays Subarus. If you can find it... snag it.

Wow too many options out there to know exactly what I want to get and actually be able to find. The wagon i'm going to look at is 150 miles away that's why i'm asking alot of questions.

Now on the side of the car from what the pictures he sent me it says "4WD TURBO" I think, its not a great pix so I zoomed into that section. Does that mean its full time or part time cause its a push button 4wd 5 speed without a sunroof. He doesn't seem to know much that's why again i'm asking on here.

Nope. Again you could have 4wd, or 2wd setups with the GL-10 line. Ive seen a fully optioned GL-10 wagon with power sunroof, digidash, cruise, power windows and everything you could imagine but...it was a 2wd automatic with SPFI.

If its full time 4wd it will say full time 4wd. If im not mistaken though i think only the RXs got that gearbox. Otherwise your looking at pushbutton (single range) or dual range 4wd.

I can top that.

I've driven an 85 GL-10, 2wd auto, non-turbo MPFI (only year and model GL with NON-Turbo MPFI)

It get's better.

I also pulled a digidash in a wrecking yard from an 85 4wd S/R 5spd GL-10..........Carbed.(also the only year GL-10 with Carb)

86 there were some 2wd GL-10s with SPFI

It really is only the very early (85,86) years where the GL-10 came without Turbo.

By 87 I'm 99% sure all GL-10s where turbo.

After 88 you could get a standard GL with Turbo.

Edited by Gloyale

Now on the side of the car from what the pictures he sent me it says "4WD TURBO" I think, its not a great pix so I zoomed into that section. Does that mean its full time or part time cause its a push button 4wd 5 speed without a sunroof.

If it doesn't say fulltime....it's not.

Pushbutton 5spd will be Single range, part time. Cannot be used in regular driving. Low traction situations only (mud, gravel, snow)

This car sounds like an 87 or 88 GL Turbo. not a GL-10. 85,86 would be a GL-10 or an RX to be turbo. 89,90 would be Fulltime to be turbo.