Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mixture too rich with weber.

on a carbed ea82. regular pump/no regulator. Plugs were fouled. Got new ones. they fouled pretty instantly. very black. I also blew a hole in my exhaust.. needed a new one as muffler was broke and cat might have been clogged. But I'd like to know why it's running so rich b4 I shell out money I don't really have. Mixture screw was anywhere from 1 to 3 turns out. Didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Hard to start.. had to rev a bit. Then idled fine. Instant I touched throttle she died. Very finicky... Choke works. Thanks for any help.

David

P.S. If you've got a full ea82 exhaust or just the Y-pipe that's good I might be interested.

Edited by Scooby17
more info

Some questions that need to be asked before any real affirmative answers can be made...

1. Is this a new weber?

2. Is it already jetted for the EA82 or was it meant for some other vehicle?

Do you know if the float was set right as well? Your idle mixture screw showing no real difference sounds like either the main jets are incorrect. Should also check your air correctors.

Mains 140/140

air correctors 160/170 (cant remember off the top of my head whether or not the 160 is for the secondary or the primary..im thinking secondary)

Primary idle jet...50,55,60. I ended up needing a 60 to get rid of the bog between the idle circuit and the primary circuit.

One more thing i thought of...are u running a return fuel line like the hitachis got? The hitachi fuel fitting with the return will screw into the weber and is what most on this board do. The weber only wants 2-3.5 psi of fuel pressure so if you happen to have a strong pump you might just be drowning your motor that way.

Edited by hatchsub

Some questions that need to be asked before any real affirmative answers can be made...

1. Is this a new weber?

2. Is it already jetted for the EA82 or was it meant for some other vehicle?

1. Nope. Came from markjw sedan. It did run on the ea82 wagon pretty well. decided to tune it a bit. idled kinda low. Messed with the mixture screw/idle screw.. mixture screw seemed sorta responsive. Pitch changed at about 1 turn out and then started to want to die. Didn't really do anything up to about 3 or 4 turns out (didn't go further). Next time I started or tried to start it was hard to start. Pulled plugs.. got new ones. Started a bit better. Ran really rough. Then ran only on the secondary (weird...). Then boom and exhaust coming out by the rear tire.

2. jetted for the ea81 I'd suppose. Should be similar? identical?

Yup. The fuel return line is fitted.

Edited by Scooby17

I think I'm going to have to just pull it and go through the whole thing and maybe rejet it some.

One thing I noticed is the accelerator pump seems too active. Slowly opening the throttle (as slow as possible) a good bit of fuel runs out. I saw adjustments for this on other carbs but from looking at the weber diagram the only variable is the size of the accel. pump jet??

Thanks

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak or a timing problem to me. Don't mess with the jetting. Check your fuel pressure to insure you aren't flooding the carb due to it being too high for some reason.

You do have a new fuel filter before the carb right?

The jetting between the two is very similar. I took the carb I had jetted perfectly for my EA81 hatch (verified with a wide-band O2) and installed it on an '86 EA82 sedan. Runs just fine - only change I had to make was upsize the idle jet from a 50 to a 60 because it wouldn't respond to rapid changes from idle to WOT (called poor "progression"). But if you don't drive it like a drag car you would never even know.

GD

both fuel filters are fresh and clean. It progresses pretty well. But there is a little hesitance if I go from idle and mash to WOT.. hardly noticeable. Not my problem. If you drag ea82's... well..

Been neglecting the soob:-\ but today I did figure out the problem.. But I don't understand why.

The choke opens nicely until it's all the way open. It'll Idle there for as long as you'd like it too. Go for a rough drive (exhaust noise is :lol:). And then I died.. 10 ft from my parking space. Opened it up and the choke is 100% closed. It did seem to be slowly losing power so at some point it must have decided to slowly close the choke (over ~ a 30 seconds to 1 minute period). Wtf? I looked at the electric choke wire and crimped new connections on. It looks fine though. Really seems to be related to moving though. I'll go look at it some more.