Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 coupe sunroof drains

I def found my source of water getting into my coupe. The previous owner had stuffed about 7-10 dunkin donuts napkins at the front of the roof in an effort to keep the water from getting in :lol:. Gotta love POs. Anyways i can see the two drains on either side towards the front of the sunroof so im assuming they drain down the A pillars towards the cowl. Rather than hunt forever for the exit..anyone know where they exit to? I want to get at that and probably unplug a 10 year old clog :mad:

i was using a 14 gauge stereo wire and got it most of the way down. The drain makes a 90 degree or close to it right at the bottom where it pops out behind the door hinge. My buddy is going to bring over a air gun for the compressor and we are going to blow it out that way. the rears are clean but both fronts are plugged.

pull the a-pillar covers and the kick panels. They usually drain into the rear of the front wheel well, as Edrach said. However, there are some cars where they drain between the inner and outer fender panels ahead of the door hinges.

You might also pull the headliner down a bit and disconnect the drain tube from the pan so you can use the blow gun more effectively. **WARNING** This procedure makes a NASTY mess on your garage floor!

pull the a-pillar covers and the kick panels. They usually drain into the rear of the front wheel well, as Edrach said. However, there are some cars where they drain between the inner and outer fender panels ahead of the door hinges.

You might also pull the headliner down a bit and disconnect the drain tube from the pan so you can use the blow gun more effectively. **WARNING** This procedure makes a NASTY mess on your garage floor!

Thats what I said :-\

I'm looking at a FSM right now. You need to take the kick panel off and there should be a window at the bottom in front of the rocker panel. The tube runs into a hole in front of the rocker and comes out in that area.

If I had time I would scan the pic and go out and look at my coupe also.

But I dont atm.

Well just did a test by pouring water in one of the drains. It came out between the two layers of metal on the pinch weld. So i guess subaru decided it would be ok to drain it right into the rockers. Not cool. Im rerouting it out of the rocker.

Maybe try and add to the tube so it comes out further?

Sorry, Rob. Didn't mean to short change you.

I'll get over it.......Just watch out for a snowball at next years X-Mas tree run :D

Maybe try and add to the tube so it comes out further?

Well what im thinking might be the easiest and most effective is drilling a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the tube and pulling it through the A pillar right behind the plastic inner fender so it drains down and out of the car...not directly into the rocker. I dont think there is another way out of the rocker to do the adding a hose method. Im just trying to make it so that it doesnt rust out in 5 years.... Futile as it may sound. Im honestly surprised that it isnt more rusty where its draining. Just surface rust on the pinch weld with no rot. Amazing.