Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom bumper

I did lots of searches for this, and found a few ideas...mostly pieces of pipe bolted to the front of the car. Found a couple real nice bumpers, but nothing that looked like I could fabricate with the limited tools I have, so I thought I'd design my own and get some feedback. Here's some pics for everyone - how's it look? Too homemade? Obviously, I'm not finished yet, but I'd see if anyone has any ideas...

post-30268-136027638629_thumb.jpg

Awesome dude,

To be honest, it looks like one of the best i've seen on here to match the lines of the car. almost like it was supposed to be there....All the hard lines are great. I get tired of seeing the same old bent tube boring rump roast bumpers.

Nice work. I'll take one :banana:

-Caleb

Hey, thanks guys! I kind of think it should move it out about an inch or so too, but it's a little late for that now. Maybe on the next one. This thing has been built basically all with hand tools and a chop saw, so if I do take orders, it'll be after I find a band saw for cutting all those angles! :banghead: Hmmmm..a TIG welder would be nice, too...

Nice work, But I noticed your "grill" peice is real close to the hood line. Good luck getting your hood open with it that close. Just saying, because I have the same "thing" going on with my bumper and I have opted to re-design that part so that I can open my hood and alos have it be be a different esthitic look. :)

Thanks for the concern Mugs - the hood open and closes just fine actually. It's close, but I did consider that when I made it. As I said before, if I do another one, it'll be spaced out a little further from the front of the car. :rolleyes:

Well thats not quite what I ment..:lol: I knew the hood would open..so does mine... Its getting your fingers under, up and over and in to the little flippy thingy to release the hood the rest of the way. Bumper gets in the way every time...even worse now that I have a license plate mounted to it. :-\

It's close, but I did consider that when I made it. As I said before, if I do another one, it'll be spaced out a little further from the front of the car. :rolleyes:

I really like how close it is to the front end. I hate excess overhang.

Increased approach angle FTW:banana:

You guys are a lot nicer than I was expecting...thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to stick a small winch between the bumper and my radiator now...I don't really want to do hood pins, but I have to do something with the bottom of the latch to keep it in place. Was thinking maybe a bar run basically from headlight to headlight that the latch could bolt up to perhaps?