Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coupe windshield rubber interchange

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy one of the "group buy" front windshield rubbers, but am unsure if it will fit. Talking to a couple other members did not clarify this. My coupe is a 73' and I am hoping it will either directly interchange or be larger so I can slice and dice (gotta do what ya gotta do!). Thanks in advance for any insight.:)

Mark

While I have not actually installed my 'group buy' windscreen rubber on the coupe I doubt a slice and dice would be necessary. A nice hot day and a bit of stretching is most likely all that will be required.

The coupe windscreen is only very slightly wider at the top and a 'smidge' taller (From cowl to roof). Obviously the windscreen is on a more acute angle the than sedan, brat or wagon.

When I had a new windscreen and rubber installed on my wagon I asked the installer about the coupe and he felt the best thing would be to fit the rubber to the glass for around 24 hours prior to installation to allow time for some stretch.

Mark - I have managed to check the driver's side (for this part of the world anyway!) and it is not good news. There are two rust holes at either end of the holder (in the thin middle piece, not the ends) which means I doubt they will be any good to you. I must say I am quite surprised by how thin this metal really is, well shocked is a more appropriate word!

I will check the passenger side soon, however the outlook is not good.

Perhaps fabrication of new holders would be a better (and possibly only) option?

• 1 month later...

Just an update for those that are interested. The "group buy" windshield gaskets will indeed fit the coupe glass. Not perfectly, but they will work. The sides fit perfect, the bottom is a touch on the loose side and the top requires a bit of a stretch to make it. Not a problem with a new, soft rubber. I have it on a spare windshield and plan on leaving it on there til' needed to see if it will conform a bit to the size.

Mark