Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 timing covers???

Options:

subaru

a yard with a junk motor (core motor).

post in the parts wanted forum here.

Another option is what a number of us do and don't use any timing belt covers. They're unnecessary and an annoyance to people who's time is valuable.

*** I noticed you replied to a 1992 Legacy thread - that's a completely different motor, those covers won't work for you.

• Like 1

Going open belts is fine, good convenience for repairs.

I go naked with mine, but if you want a set i have a complete lo-mile pull off in good shape, i can include all the bolts if you need them. these are form an 89 gl, 89,000 mi

make offer plus flat rate box

The covers are just plastic covers, they're rather meaningless really.

I wouldn't go that far - they are useful if you plow through deep snow, or go crossing river's, etc. They keep errant fingers and dropped shop rags :rolleyes: from getting mixed up in the running belts.

It just depends on what the plan is for the car. If it's just a street car and you don't plan to drive in 1+ foot of snow then loose the covers.

GD

• 4 years later...

ha yea I dug up an old one here. Thanks for the response, we are about to go on a road trip so i'll be sure to keep an extra set with me

So given you keep an extra set with you, have you had any timing belt/tensioner failures you attribute to not having the covers?

Like they said above. Nothing can hit the belts because they are protected by the radiator. Nothing is going to jump straight up and hit the belts. I have snapped a belt due to getting my car deep in some mud, past the belts and it broke. Maybe just time for that belt to go, or the resistance from the mud made the belt snap. 

Bottom line: everyone runs with no covers for a reason. the reason being, you don't need them. 

• Like 1