Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EMPI Axles Local in Olympia?

So I am newer to the Olympia area and was wondering if anyone new where I could buy EMPI axles from? I have no idea what shops are in the area, I was looking for after market vw shops and came up with nothing, and google really didn't help me out much. Hell, if there was a shop in Seattle that was open on Saturdays with good prices I would just pick them up in Seattle since I am up there just about every weekend. But I don't know any shops here (Olympia) or up in Seattle for that matter, so if anyone knows of a good shop to purchase EMPI stuff from (axles specifically), please let me know! Thanks all!

PS. I know I could order them online, but I don't want to pay for shipping. Also if there is a local business that sells them I would rather buy from them, then some internet store on the ease coast...

Edited by eulogious

PS. I know I could order them online, but I don't want to pay for shipping. Also if there is a local business that sells them I would rather buy from them, then some internet store on the ease coast...

Props for wanting to support local business.

I absolutely struck out around here looking for EMPIs and found THIS place with free shipping.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Sweet, they even have the turbo axles :) $85 for the 25 spline, but that seems to be the rate. Free shipping is sweet as well. I take it you had good luck with them? Thanks for the link! I might be going there if I can't find a local shop to get them from...

I ordered from them and had no issues whatsoever.

I will say, after seeing an EMPI axle up close and personal, I will never buy another brand for any of my vehicles if they make one for it. The difference is night and day.

Dan

I ordered from them and had no issues whatsoever.

I will say, after seeing an EMPI axle up close and personal, I will never buy another brand for any of my vehicles if they make one for it. The difference is night and day.

Dan

That's what a lot of people have said, and for a little more money, they seem WAY better than the reman crap you get at the local parts store, so we shall see. Good to know there are still some places that offer good cust service as well as prices :) Hopefully I will be able to source them locally...

Sweet, they even have the turbo axles :) $85 for the 25 spline, but that seems to be the rate. Free shipping is sweet as well. I take it you had good luck with them? Thanks for the link! I might be going there if I can't find a local shop to get them from...

I ordered from that site and received very poor customer service. Not that it should matter, but support is in India. I had a hard time explaining what a DOJ is and why it was broken, and they ended up not taking it back under warranty, so now I have a broken EMPI axle collecting dust.

That site will be fine if you know you won't have any problems, but if they ship the wrong thing or anything, you'll wish you had gone elsewhere.

Jacob

I had a hard time explaining what a DOJ is and why it was broken, and they ended up not taking it back under warranty, so now I have a broken EMPI axle collecting dust.

I do not like the EMPI axles.

They are chinese junk just like the majority of the chain store crap.

They are "new" parts sure, but the quality is junk. And the Shafts and Joints are not the same type (tripod inner joint?) and can't be mixed and matched with OE subaru axles to make hybrids or trail repairs.

I put one on an outback one time, and it shook and vibrated the whole car at stopped at lights in drive, and crunched and clunked from the day it was installed.

just my two cents

I will take a reman OE subaru axle over EMPI junk anyday. Just my opinion.

I do not like the EMPI axles.

They are chinese junk just like the majority of the chain store crap.

They are "new" parts sure, but the quality is junk. And the Shafts and Joints are not the same type (tripod inner joint?) and can't be mixed and matched with OE subaru axles to make hybrids or trail repairs.

I put one on an outback one time, and it shook and vibrated the whole car at stopped at lights in drive, and crunched and clunked from the day it was installed.

just my two cents

I will take a reman OE subaru axle over EMPI junk anyday. Just my opinion.

Well, I have one that hasn't caused me problems, so I don't know if I want to comment on the quality of the part. I just know that I can't watch this thread happen without warning the OP that the website mentioned sucks, and that I'll never buy anything from there again.

Jacob

I dont know if these guys do Subaru axles or for that matter that year (old) cars BUT everyone on the volkswagen forums who drops theirs cars suspension way too low always break axles, they put a pretty penny down for the "Raxles" axles and they have Lifetime warranty.

Dont know if it'll be much help maybe for these offroader guys too...

http://www.raxles.com/

That's what I love about this forum, I get good stuff whenever I ask! Thanks all! The reason that I choose EMPI was simple because they seem to have a good track record here on USMB. That being said, I have no experience with axles, I was just going with what everyone seemed to agree with, and that was EMPI... Of course this is arguable, but I also now have some more options...

Gloyale, or anyone for that matter, where could I pick up a good reman OE subaru axle? The dealer? I could rebuild it, but I would need an OE core, which I don't think I have... I think I got a cheap reman from the store, but I don't have any paper work for it so ya. Is there anyway to tell? The PO didn't mention anything to me, and I can't really tell by looking at it.

If the EMPI stuff requires you to switch both axles at the same time, and then only use EMPI axles, no thanks to that...

Thanks for the heads up about that site renob123, I will take that into consideration for sure when I go to purchase something whether it be EMPI or others, thanks.

That's what I love about this forum, I get good stuff whenever I ask! Thanks all! The reason that I choose EMPI was simple because they seem to have a good track record here on USMB. That being said, I have no experience with axles, I was just going with what everyone seemed to agree with, and that was EMPI... Of course this is arguable, but I also now have some more options...

Gloyale, or anyone for that matter, where could I pick up a good reman OE subaru axle? The dealer? I could rebuild it, but I would need an OE core, which I don't think I have... I think I got a cheap reman from the store, but I don't have any paper work for it so ya. Is there anyway to tell? The PO didn't mention anything to me, and I can't really tell by looking at it.

If the EMPI stuff requires you to switch both axles at the same time, and then only use EMPI axles, no thanks to that...

Thanks for the heads up about that site renob123, I will take that into consideration for sure when I go to purchase something whether it be EMPI or others, thanks.

No problem.

I've been running 1 EMPI and 1 cheap NAPA axle for probably 9 months now with no issues.

Jacob

Thanks for the insight renob123! From the sounds of it, EMPI does suffer from some bad apples, but that's to be expected with any company. I am still interested in info on some good reman OE subaru axles.

I have also email raxles.com on info and prices, so we shall see what they say.

So far it seems if I want EMPI axles, tacoma seems to be the closest so far...

The EMPI stuff suffers from the same problems of all the chinese brands to some extent - QA is poor. I haven't had one fail but I've heard enough stories to know they probably have issues with it. Guess I've been lucky. But for the price (and I get them local for $65) I can't argue too much. I give the shop a lot of business and they will take them back without question if I have a problem.

Also - I think a lot of people don't know how to properly install the hub/cone washer and how to inspect them for damage. I beleive this, as well as mishandling/improper installation accounts for a percentage of the failures that have been reported. And lets not forget that engine and tranny mount condition have some sway in those premature failure's as well.......I've installed probably a dozen and so far I've not had to have one swapped out yet.

Subaru runs a reman axle line through their dealerships - price is around tripple or more of the EMPI's. Around $175 to $250 for an axle - depending on model.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I've bought a dozen ea axles and I can honestly say the EMPI's have so far been the best. For me,anyway. In fact,I actually have a brand new one in the box sitting on the shelf out here in Yelm...It's a non-turbo one. I don't currently have a ea82 car to put it into. Maybe I should sell it to a local board member.:brow:

The EMPI stuff suffers from the same problems of all the chinese brands to some extent - QA is poor. I haven't had one fail but I've heard enough stories to know they probably have issues with it. Guess I've been lucky. But for the price (and I get them local for $65) I can't argue too much. I give the shop a lot of business and they will take them back without question if I have a problem.

Also - I think a lot of people don't know how to properly install the hub/cone washer and how to inspect them for damage. I beleive this, as well as mishandling/improper installation accounts for a percentage of the failures that have been reported. And lets not forget that engine and tranny mount condition have some sway in those premature failure's as well.......I've installed probably a dozen and so far I've not had to have one swapped out yet.

Subaru runs a reman axle line through their dealerships - price is around tripple or more of the EMPI's. Around $175 to $250 for an axle - depending on model.

GD

I kinda figured that's what the deal was with EMPI, whenever you mass produce something, you will naturally have some bad apples.

Ouch, that's alot for axles! If the OE axles are that much, I will take my chances with EMPI.

I will keep that in mind when installing the axles, to try to do it right! I will at least try ;) We shall see how that goes :rolleyes:

Good stuff so far! Thanks all!

I've bought a dozen ea axles and I can honestly say the EMPI's have so far been the best. For me,anyway. In fact,I actually have a brand new one in the box sitting on the shelf out here in Yelm...It's a non-turbo one. I don't currently have a ea82 car to put it into. Maybe I should sell it to a local board member.:brow:

To bad it's not a turbo, or it would probably be sold already, oh well, can't win 'em all :-\

To bad it's not a turbo, or it would probably be sold already, oh well, can't win 'em all :-\

Yeah,I thought you said something about needing turbo one's....Do you know slideshow86?

He has the hookup on these empi axles,kinda like GD. He gets um cheap and local from some shop in Tacoma. If you don't know him,I can call him and get the name of the shop for you. But,whenever I need some,I go thru him.

Yeah,I thought you said something about needing turbo one's....Do you know slideshow86?

He has the hookup on these empi axles,kinda like GD. He gets um cheap and local from some shop in Tacoma. If you don't know him,I can call him and get the name of the shop for you. But,whenever I need some,I go thru him.

Good to know! and PM sent...