Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy GT 2.5 385,000KM. I have already changed my differential oil and replaced all wear items at all four corners, yet I still have a vibration on acceleration that calms down once at a constant speed. I found a split on the inner CV boot on the drivers' side, so I am suspecting that is the culprit. I just about soiled myself:eek: when I saw the cost of an OEM replacement, has anybody used an aftermarket one? I checked out a couple from FEQ and EMPI, but I am leary about using a $100.00 part to replace a $700.00 part.

Rebuilt units are available from Autozone and O'Reilly Auto part stores here in Indiana for $59. I am sure they are not the best, but they have held up for me. A local garage installed mine for $136 in labor on my 98 OBW. The AZ store includes a life time warranty on their half shafts, in case their unit goes bad.

So yea, after market rebuilds are okay in my book.

I'll second rooster2 - I've used those cheap Autozone-type ones on VWs for years and never had a problem and wouldn't hesitate to use them on my Suby when the time comes. I assume that the cheap ones from Rock Auto, or any other supplier on the internet, are all of similar quality (they may even come from the same factory). So no, they're not all junk.

I got burned once on a set of rotors on ebay and have never shopped for car parts there again. I have purchased several parts from autopartsway.ca and have never been disappointed (by the way, they sell an awesome Denso oil filter for the same price as an OEM filter). I sourced out the axles I listed in my first post through them. We don't have an autozone here and I really hate paying shipping and customs on parts from the states if I can get them here. I'll take a look at the autozone parts online and see if they are similar. Thanks for all the responses.

I will vouch for autozone axles if only for their warranty even. If it breaks, or you at least claim it breaks (the guys at my autozone said there isn't anyway for them to check to if its broken so they just go off your word :D ) I have gone through a few of them on my brat and all I did was take in the old one, hand it over the counter, they handed me a new one. Can't go wrong with that other than if they keep breaking on you that is.