Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In operable wiper blade/stripped?

02 OBW

When the wipers are turned on, the drivers side doesn't move but the passengers side does. If I manually pull it up the windshield a bit, it sort of moves back and forth some but overshoots the windshield obviously because that changes it's orientation. So stuff is moving but the wiper arm is not.

I'm guessing it was frozen to the windshield and something stripped when the wipers were turned on (I wasn't using the car when it happened). I'm guessing the shaft/nut that holds the wiper blade in place is stripped?

I see a small cap, looks like I can pry that up and have a look.

I've never messed with EJ wipers - anyone know what it could be?

All wiper assemblies are pretty much the same, no matter what make of car.

Suggest you remove the nut holding the arm onto the stud, then gently pry and pull the arm straight up off the stud. Once removed, look at the stud to see if the stud splines (grooves) have been damaged. Also, look inside the arm to see if the splines are damaged.

Manufacturers usually make the stud out of harder metal then the arm, so if the wiper is turned on with the blade frozen against the windshield, the splines in the arm will strip out first. This makes it a lot easier to replace the arm verses the entire wiper mechanism, called the wiper transmission. If you are lucky, it is just a matter of replacing the arm and blade to fix the problem.