Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a 2000 Legacy sedan

tinknocker07

Hello I would like to lift my 2000 Legacy L sedan 4". What do I need to make or buy to do this right. Not looking to bash my Sub, I drive off road to get to fishing and camping spots. Plus I want to get a better snow driving set up. I'm looking for more ground clearance. I have 16" Impreza wheels on it now I plan to install tires for over all use on and off road this will still be my Daily driver.

Thanks Nate

Frequently asked questions.top of this forum..........

hello i would like to lift my 2000 legacy l sedan 4". What do i need to make or buy to do this right. Not looking to bash my sub, i drive off road to get to fishing and camping spots. Plus i want to get a better snow driving set up. I'm looking for more ground clearance. I have 16" impreza wheels on it now i plan to install tires for over all use on and off road this will still be my daily driver.

Thanks nate

A 2000 legacy has a different rear suspension design, it's multi-link rather than strut type, so lifting it is not the same as an impreza or earlier legacy. It's not covered in the FAQ. In fact, it's not really covered anywhere. I've seen more threads on lowering 2000-04 outbacks than I have on lifting the same gen legacys.

Seems most of them are still worth enough that people won't beat them offroad. It would be helpful to have a writup on lifing them.

• Like 1

the point is the FAQ is where people should look first to get an idea of what to expect from this forum........

there is info on who to get ahold of that builds kits.....:rolleyes:the people listed in that thread are the only ones with kits on the market in the states anymore,that are not a private fab shop anyway......

cheers, brain

Thanks for the replies to my post. I have looked every where to fined a lift kit or info on what needs to be re mounted to lift my car 4" I don't want to do crazy things to it. I just want more ground clearance I want to install tires from the lite truck range on the wheels I already have on the car to get better tread choices. Yes it is a nice car It is paid fore and now I want to improve the ability of the car it will still be my daily driver to work. I don't mind building the lift kit, I just want as much info as can get before I start.

Nate

Thanks for the info newsoobdude!

I have not got under the car with this project in mind. I was thinking that I would Just remount every thing on 4" spacers like the front cradle & struts, Trany cross member, rear suspension and reardif get an alignment and be done with it. Is this what you guys do to the older models? Some one has to be the first I was just hoping that some else had done this as to warn me of problems this might cause.

Nate

Well monstaru I read the post you told me to reed I see how to make the lift kit for the front. I just need to figure out the rear. I well get time to this this this week I was ran off the road last night Buy a driver on the wrong side of the road maby drunk. I hit the ditch buy going over a 6" curb. Now I have a bent wheel, bent control arm and a broken sway bar link :mad:

Subaru#5438195191493902290

Nate

Edited by tinknocker07

Ok guys How much lift will I get on my 2000 legacy after installing Outback struts springs blocks spacers and links. or the same with Forester struts.

Plus Cooper Weather Master ST2 size:205/60/R16 or 225/65/R16

Nate

The lift block on the 2000-2004 models are not just simple blocks.

They are bolted to the unibody along the length of the frame rail, and considerably harder to remove/reinstall than the previous 96-99 model. Also, some of the suspension uses blocks, whereas other parts of it actually have differnet dimension mounts (A-arm rear pivot, Trailing arm bracket...) so it really isn't as easy as just slappin a few blocks in.

Easy way to get about inches is to simply swap the outback struts. Although as noted, the multilink rear may not be so effectively lifted simply from struts.....IDK......still working on a proper lift kit for this model.

I'll post a new thread in the Vendor Forums w/ pics and prices when we have a kit installed.

I just got done lifting my '00 OBW another inch and a quarter. Save yourself some bucks over the King's and use a set of 04-06 Baja springs.

You will need the baja springs and a set of outback dampers / struts to acheive the same type of lift. I believe the top hats and spring seats are all the same for Outback and Legacy.

I just got done lifting my '00 OBW another inch and a quarter. Save yourself some bucks over the King's and use a set of 04-06 Baja springs.

You will need the baja springs and a set of outback dampers / struts to acheive the same type of lift. I believe the top hats and spring seats are all the same for Outback and Legacy.

So you said another inch & quarter so what is your total lift?

I am thinking about moving up into a 2000-2004 but want to be able to lift it like my current 91 legacy.