Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no boost at all

I have checked all the suggestions I could find out of 5 or 6 threads including the following.

Wastegate lever moves freely ,diaphram holds vaccum , no leaks on intake or hoses , air filter and intake clear. It starts and idles great. timing at 22 deg with green plug connected. No smoke , not using oil, just wimpy. Vacc gauge swings to zero under full acceleration but will not go into positive ,power light never comes on.

I am thinking I should pull the intake hose or maybe the whole turbo and inspect vanes or see if it is locked up.

Any ideas? I may be in the market for a turbo , will see then post in wtb.

PS....The dipstick looks awfully varnished for only 120k ...oil overheat in past???

Nothing sounds like an exhaust leak on it. At certain RPMs it has a rattle on the driver's side- more like a vibration. Since I am borrowing a truck to take out of town Saturday I can relax a little and take my time on this. I hope to take it apart this evening and see whats in there.:-\

Well guys , I dropped the down pipe ( 20 bolts later Brian ):grin: , the vanes on the exhaust side look good but when I try to turn it , she locks up every quarter inch or so. Loyale pm'd me , he has 2 turbos so hopefully I can get one off him. On a better note , I just sent a reply to a guy in dallas that has a cool set of snowflake wheels fs.:banana:

Sorry, on my RX i had removed it so many times, that the only thing holding it was the 4 bolts on the turbo. I forgot about the shielding and everything else that comes stock.

Anyhow, a new turbo will be like a new car. I suggest you find and install an intercooler when you install the new turbo, it will make the EA82 appreciate you that much more.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new (used) turbo yesterday and got it all together last night. The biggest problems were the pvc pipe behind the intake cracking to pieces and an extra hand needed to rehang the exhaust. I fixed the pvc with some brass 3/4" pex fittings and new hoses. RESULTS: ho boy! Not a racecar but way faster than I expected. I may have an overboost problem though. My cheapo boost gauge runs over 10 at WOT. It doesn't sound like it is hurtng anything but I told my wife to take it easy until I can verify what's going on - intercooler time!:grin:

I received the new (used) turbo yesterday and got it all together last night. The biggest problems were the pvc pipe behind the intake cracking to pieces and an extra hand needed to rehang the exhaust. I fixed the pvc with some brass 3/4" pex fittings and new hoses. RESULTS: ho boy! Not a racecar but way faster than I expected. I may have an overboost problem though. My cheapo boost gauge runs over 10 at WOT. It doesn't sound like it is hurtng anything but I told my wife to take it easy until I can verify what's going on - intercooler time!:grin:

what do you have for exhaust?

everything is stock. I found a vacc hose hidden under some stuff not connected that goes to the wastegate control thingy. I was hoping that would fix it, it still wants to go to 10+ if I get on it a little. I was hoping to verify it by hooking up a temporary pressure gauge but it only reads to 7psi. Is there a bypass valve or something I can put on here as a safety that can be set to 7psi? On a side note, I took the old turbo apart. A little piece of flat metal had gotten sucked up into the turbine and locked it up. After I got it out it seems to work fine - now I have a good spare - or maybe a toy for the samurai!:rolleyes:

So I could run the vacc line from the pressurized side of the intake right on the turbo to the wastegate valve and it would prev ent it from going over 10 if everything is in order? I was thinking of putting the wastegate valve off the old one on it. I was under the impression that these were hard to trick into boosting over 9psi. I'm going on memory of Skip's wagon from 10 yrs ago. 7-8 normal , fuel cut at 9 ,etc.

Thanks for info , not sure if I want it hitting 15psi too often. This is our main vehicle so i need it to last. I take it that a manual boost controller goes in that little line between the two. That being the case , it would not limit boost as a bpv would , correct?

A boost controller limits the amount of vacuum the wastegate recieves, and this lets the wastegate open later, at a higher boost. It will not help bring boost down, only help the turbo make more boost.

I suspect maybe your guage. Did you say you had another gauge that only went to 7psi?? 7psi is about stock.

And its easy to get the turbo to make as much boost as you want, just disconnect that vacuum line leading to the wastegate and your turbo will make 10, 20, 30psi of boost... but, it wont be pretty :)