Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife's 99 outback wagon needed the rear hatch support struts replaced. I bought NAPA, reason was the one day delivery right here in town. Not really much cheaper than OEM, but nobody had OEM units on hand. One failed before three days, other one lasted about 6 weeks, Both failed not in the cylinder itself, but had the flat steel bracket at the top of the cylinder split in two, now have two Genuine Subaru pieces installed. Have noticed a lot of NAPA stuff is now Chinese. I expected these to be, but the last water pump I bought there was also Chinese.

I always considered NAPA parts better than most, with about a 20% price higher than the other chain auto parts store. A lot of Chinese parts are okay, but some is junk. NAPA must be falling on hard times, if they now want are willing to sell junk. Guess they are no better now then the AZ stores, but I bet are still selling at 20% higher.

I got mine from RockAuto. Can't recall the "to my door" price, but it was competitive or less than the local Napa/Kragen/Autozones.

2 years ago: rear lift supports for my '83 wagon,

3 years ago: hood supports for my Acura Legend.

Both sets are operating very well, and the brackets have not had the issues described above.

Just my 2 bucks

Edited by NV Zeno
omission

my experience with NAPA hatch struts for the rear hatch are about 18 years ago, I bought 2 new ones for my 1991 CRX Si. They lasted exactly less than about 10 months. So, i imagine, what happened then to me, happened now to you.

Nothing good about them, and they were pricey even from NAPA.

Once again, even the slightest ammount of research and knowledge would prevent alot of missinformation here.

Napas are franchise stores, owned and operated by individual proprietores across the nation. Napa provides an extensive network of parts, cataloging, and infrastructure at an expense to the owner/operator. Having the NAPA name on the door costs a ****load of money each month. Delivery cost, and part prices all reflect this, both to the owner/operator, and the customer.

As with all companies; people shopping at NAPA still need to be vigilant about what they buy and where it comes from. Does NAPA sell Chinese stuff? Unfortunately yes. But I am afraid that is innevitable due to the ammount of people in this world demanding cheap crap, and only looking at prices. However, if you speak to a knowledgeable counterman, which is about 500% more likely at a NAPA; he will quickly inform you that NAPA has MULTIPLE options for brands for almost any part they sell. The long and short of it is this, if you buy Chinese crap, it doesn't matter what the sign above the door says. It's still Chinese crap, and it will perform thusly. Just because someone decides to go to NAPA and be cheap, that doesn't mean the part will be any better. The NAPA sign holds no actual magic powers.

To your problem with the struts. I am assuming that since you bought NAPA air struts that they came from a company called Balkamp, and that the part number is seven digits, and looks like a telephone number. IE: 000-0000. If this is the case, you need to go back to the NAPA you purchased them from, and ask for a replacement, or refund. It says nothing about you doing such thing anywhere in your original post. This probably all could have been avoided by doing so. If the struts aren't labeld NAPA or Balkamp; then there is a good chance that the individual store did not get your parts FROM NAPA but instead a different supplier. This happens quite often, and isn't NAPAs problem. If they are labeled NAPA or Balkamp; take them back. Waiting won't help, and complaining here won't put any money back in your pocket.

One of the great things about NAPA is the return policy and system in place. Having worked at a NAPA before; I can tell you firsthand that the system is designed to take care of displeased customers. If there is any problem returning/replacing the broken part; it lies at the individual store, and not with the chain. I can tell you from ALOT of past experience. I have warrantied almost everything imagineable through the NAPA system, and NEVER had any problem doing so. Everything from cans of spraypaint that didn't spray right to brand new Edelbrock Carbs that IDIOTS had adjusted. My point is that the NAPA warranty/return system is great. Take advantage of it first before badmouthing a companies product. If you can't get it warrantied, or it keeps happening; then badmouth the product, or store causing the problem.

Most importantly; it is up to each individual store as to what parts/brands you get. There are profit percentages that motivate these franchises to sell some brands over others. However, there are quality parts in the NAPA system. Many stores decide to sell lower line parts due to the pre-mentioned demand. It doesn't mean that NAPA has become Schucks. It means it up to the shopper to do some research on what they are buying. All you have to do is ask the guy at the counter. That's his job.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

Cliffnotes:

Not all Napa's are company owned stores. A Lot of them are jobbers and can sell you anything they want as an alternative.

Buy all parts at NAPA company owned stores, or inist on NAPA company parts

IE: Balkamp... as stated above.

Just as an example in my city there is only 1 Napa owned store and about 13 other stores owned by jobbers.

The struts I mentioned in the initial posting were the genuine frontline NAPA product, for nearly $60 each, they had better be. They looked good and were specific to my application. I bought there as the difference in delivery was going to be 1 day at NAPA and 4 days at my Subaru Dealer, and the wife operates the hatch many times a day in her work. I have always had good luck with NAPA in the past and they did issue me one free replacement for the one that broke right off the bat, no questions. I decided to eat them and buy the genuine replacements, as they were made too stiff and it was very hard to get the tailgate to latch even when they were working. I am making the posting here specifically for info specific to gas struts. The rest of the NAPA catalog may be fine, but I am now less likely to experiment with them.

Edited by NOMAD327

I highly encourage you to take your other back, and tell them your story. The way you are treated will probably do ALOT to set this right in your mind. I know you would have been treated well at both the stores I worked at (same owner). That, too me anyways, is alot more important than having unlimited luck with parts. You are going to have problems with parts no matter where you get them, that is just the reality of auto parts. But, at least at a local store like your NAPA you can get some face time when something does go wrong. :)

I still like my NAPA and the people that work there are always good to me. I can afford to let the struts go, but with two both failing in the same odd way, I felt it was fair to let the board here know my experience. They were much too stiff when they were new, and it's obviously cold here now, but they got more stiff in service until they actually broke. I searched here before making the choice and didn't find anything bad about NAPA listed. I will still buy from my store which is small and sells only NAPA products. I have bought gas struts there before for other vehicles with no problem, but the parts for 96-99 Legacy models at least, do not work well.