Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Outback radiator

I need to order a radiator for my 96 Legacy outback. Auto Zone has 2 part numbers. One has a sensor fitting, one does not. The one that does not is $100 cheaper than the one that does. Do I need the sensor fitting? Is it for the sensor that tells the fan when to engage? I checked 1stSubaruParts.com and they don't list 2 part numbers for this car.

Any help is much appreciated.

I have two OBWs, a 98 and 99, but don't remember ever seeing a sensor plugged into a radiator. Sensors usually screw into the block. Suggest you visually look at both sides of your radiator, and inside along the bottom edge for a sensor on your radiator. I doubt that you will find one. If so, it will have an electrical wire connected to it.

2 comments.

I've done my fair share of these and don't recall a sensor in any Outback radiator.

Second - it seems 96 and some 97's take a different (more pricey) radiator.

May I sugest that you look at the bottom plastic pegs and see it they are the whole way out at the ends under the plastic tank on both ends or lets say 3-4 inches toward the center from where the tank meets the aluminum to make sure you get the correct rad.

I just got the wrong one from the radiator barn but they seem like they are gonna be good about taking it back. Mine was for a 97. Luckily I scrounged around and had a servicable used one around here. The ones with the pegs closer to the middle are more rare and pricey.

I got one from Pep Boys and it was about 1" shorter than the one I removed. Had to make some adjustments to get it to fit. Would recommend checking radiator.com and getting them to help, they have a tech who can answer your questions and get the correct rad. Helpful to have old rad P/N and tape measure handy to make sure you get the correct one.

• 2 months later...

Beemer11:

I also need a radiator for my 96 OBW with auto. Do you mind sharing your experience with your replacement? Is your Outback an auto, or 5-speed? Does your replacement from Radiator.com fit perfectly? How is the visual quality of construction? Thanks.

I also need a radiator for my 96 OBW with auto..

why do you need a radiator? what is the car / radiator doing?

you might contact mdjdc, ha has a forester he is parting out and a line on an 01 outback. he's in richmond and may be able to help.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109611&highlight=parting

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112214&highlight=parting

It's leaking coolant from the passenger's side of the plastic side tank. I plan to keep the car for as long as I can so I'd like to get a brand-new one (lasts longer vs. used). I can get a new OEM from 1stSubaruParts.com for $245 shipping included. Radiator.com quoted me $188 including shipping but they wouldn't tell me what brand it is, a little odd to me. For the timing being, I'm using a modified radiator cap that does not pressurize to minimize leak. I've done this before on this Subaru and a 1990 Nissan. Never had water temp issue with the modified cap.