Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Clutch Replacement, anyone have a garage and generous spirit?

I'm getting to the very end of the life of my clutch, I've got a 93 Loyale (EA82) that had a bad clutch when i bought it. I tightened up the cable (and bought a new one) but its not doing the trick. I knew i would have to replace it, but was hoping to put it off til mid March. Its looking more like i'll be stranded on the side of 26 heading towards beaverton one of these mornings. I need to get this fixed, though i've never changed a clutch before. I am very mechanical, i've fixed lots of different things on different cars, but i live in an apartment near clackamas, and a clutch isn't really a parking lot friendly project. :mad:

so.. Does anyone have a garage with an engine hoist? I would be eternally grateful, and would be happy to bring pizza and beer :P I'll be studying up on my Haynes manual, but if someone wants to help out life would be oh so much easier.

I've always worked with my dad on these projects before, but as they moved to Louisiana, its a little harder to go to his house and pull my car apart. If anyone is feeling excessively charitable, i really appreciate it!

Also, if anyone has any tips on this, I'd love to hear them. Getting a how to from a book often leaves out the "life is easier if you do this" aspect. Thanks for the help!!

thanks-- Micah

I like beer :lol: and pizza :)

I have accommodations and tools and knowledge, not so much on the experience pullin suby engines but its just nuts n bolts :rolleyes:

I am just north across the river exit 16 and have a dry bay I could give up for a weekend.

Prolly others with better accommodations and experience, maybe even a bit closer...but if not let me know...

Scott

It's a pretty simple job. I don't know that I can spare a lot of garage space - you could nose it in so you are working in the dry or if the weather holds you could do it in the street out front. There's an EJ22 swap going on in one bay and the other is my personal space for business use, etc.

You don't have to pull the engine completely - just forward enough to slip the clutch down in. It's actually pretty quick and easy - pull the radiator and fans, remove starter and loosen PP blots, lift the engine to clear the motor mounts and slide it forward off the tranny, then R&R PP/disc/etc, and reassemble. It only takes a few hours typically.

Depending on how bad you think the flywheel is - I have an EA82 flywheel that you could swap me for and have surfaced in advance so it's ready to go.

I'm in West Linn so probably pretty close to you.

GD

Sounds like GD might be a better option, sure seems to have more answers than I would.

I just have a 50'x80' barn with some concrete bays no heat but is dry and nothing to bother for day or two if needed.

Still I have a BRAT I am looking to make reliable and safe for my daughter when she starts highschool and a GL wagon on its last legs :grin: I wouldn't mind pokin my nose around and offering a hand, specially if beer n pizza are still on the menu :)

Sounds like GD might be a better option, sure seems to have more answers than I would.......I wouldn't mind pokin my nose around and offering a hand, specially if beer n pizza are still on the menu :)

You are more than welcome to drop by and see what's going on in my garage any time. There's always something major happening it seems like. EJ22 swap in a Brat is getting started this week and I have a Weber install on an EA82 wagon happening in the other bay. Plus various other projects.

Clutch replacement's and transmission jobs come and go around here at a regular pace it seems like. Even my personal rig (EJ22T) needs a new clutch right now. :rolleyes:

GD

You are more than welcome to drop by and see what's going on in my garage any time. There's always something major happening it seems like. EJ22 swap in a Brat is getting started this week and I have a Weber install on an EA82 wagon happening in the other bay. Plus various other projects.

Clutch replacement's and transmission jobs come and go around here at a regular pace it seems like. Even my personal rig (EJ22T) needs a new clutch right now. :rolleyes:

GD

Well thank you very much :D

I have a pilot buddy in West Linn too, only met him online so far but they have a doughnut thing on Friday's I think :confused:...but this gives me more reason to make the trip...as long as showing up in a toyota is appropriate :burnout:

Toyota's are good cars - I have nothing against them. Don't own any but my family's fleet has a Nissan, a Ford, and a GMC so I occasionally work on stuff other than Subaru's - have to do a timing belt on my neighbor's Honda soon :rolleyes:

Friday's are usually a good day - the woman is off at work and I'm in the garage most of the day if I'm not out getting parts or at the junk yard.

GD

Thank you both, i appreciate it! I just landed a place actually though, a friend of mine in woodburn has a spot in his garage with a cherry picker, so i think i'll head down that direction. GD, maybe i could still swing by to check out your EJ swap though, thats been on the back burner for me for a while, i'd like to see how its lookin!

I'm getting to the very end of the life of my clutch, I've got a 93 Loyale (EA82) that had a bad clutch when i bought it. I tightened up the cable (and bought a new one) but its not doing the trick.

Um am i reading this right that you tightened the cable so that its tighter? If so undo that and loosen it. You are inducing clutch slip if thats the case. Tightening the cable like that is the same principal as leaving your foot on the clutch just a bit.

Um am i reading this right that you tightened the cable so that its tighter? If so undo that and loosen it. You are inducing clutch slip if thats the case. Tightening the cable like that is the same principal as leaving your foot on the clutch just a bit.

Thanks, but I just said it backwards. I loosened the adjustment by the shift fork almost all I could, which (if I understand right) tightens the clutch. Before, when I first got the car, you had to push the clutch WAY down, but all of the play where it would catch felt like the top 2 inches at most of travel.. I have it adjusted so it feels much more normal and it starts to catch about halfway up, plus the pedal doesn't feel like such a long distance to push it to the floor either now. I hope this is right, I've never had a cable clutch before, all I've done is bleed hydrolic clutches.. this seems about as easy (assuming I did it right) :grin:

Thanks, but I just said it backwards. I loosened the adjustment by the shift fork almost all I could, which (if I understand right) tightens the clutch. Before, when I first got the car, you had to push the clutch WAY down, but all of the play where it would catch felt like the top 2 inches at most of travel.. I have it adjusted so it feels much more normal and it starts to catch about halfway up, plus the pedal doesn't feel like such a long distance to push it to the floor either now. I hope this is right, I've never had a cable clutch before, all I've done is bleed hydrolic clutches.. this seems about as easy (assuming I did it right) :grin:

Well yes and no. You did go the correct direction though (had me worried for a second). The idea is to adjust the clutch cable so there is just a bit of play in the clutch fork. I disconnect the hillholder cable (or spring on DL's) and adjust the clutch fork until there is just a bit of play...then i reconnect the hillholder and make sure that its pulling the clutch fork all the way back away from the clutch. That way the throw out bearing is not constantly riding on the clutch fingers.

Hurah! got the clutch replaced. It was a big job, mostly because once i tore it apart, the shiny new clutch kit was for a very good, very different car. I had to drive back to Portland from woodburne on saturday afternoon to track down a new one :mad:

But, the good news is my flywheel was in great shape, i hit it with some emery cloth to get rid of any glazing (there wasn't really any) and put the new clutch kit in. Its working great now, that was definately a learning experience. Its nice to, because, although i've owned the car about a month, i now know where everything in the engine comparment is at.. Not that i'll be doing anything else to it :brow:

thanks again though for the help and offers!