Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

After a couple of years of missing this board and my 96 outback, I am tempted to leap back into the 'Baru world. I found a 2000 Outback limited 5 spd with 200k. Can I assume that any problems (like headgasket) would be fixed by now and that any problems would be normal for a car of that vintage/mileage? Anything to look out for? I sold my 96 with 250k and have regretted it since.. it was good to go for another 250K! Any and all thoughts are appreciated. thanks

badjer

Can I assume that any problems (like headgasket) would be fixed by now and that any problems would be normal for a car of that vintage/mileage?

When purchasing a used car it wise not to assume anything. Let the buyer beware and be prepared for 'things to happen' if you purchase it. You should be able to get it at a very good price with that amount of mileage on it.

Yeah, it is at a good price-it is at a local buy here/pay here sort of place so there isn't much in the way of records. I am just wondering mostly about the head gaskets- If they were going to be a problem as with some of the other 2.5l of the era.. would they have been fixed by now?? Or have the HG proven themselves at this point so they aren't an issue. Of course, after 200k, no car part owes anyone anything so they are forgiven for random failures! :)

thanks!

badjer

These headgaskets suffered the external seepage of coolant, mostly on the underside of the driver's side. Also my mechanic has seen 3 leak oil on the top passenger side (including my 2001). Neither of these is an engine destroyer on their own as long as you maintain the fluid levels.

Welcome home, badjer! Sounds to me like you have a very realistic attitude about the car. If you like what you see and you're comfortable with the price, I'd say go for it. Just be aware that you might have to invest in new HGs sooner or later.

Good luck with your decision.

A Subaru mechanic who knows his stuff, can look at the corners of the head gasket, where they protrude out, and tell you if it is the newer style of head gasket or not.

Also, suggest you drive this car at speed on a highway for about 10 miles to see if there is any over heating, because of a bad head gasket. Simply driving around town at lower speeds may not induce over heating, if it is an issue.

Does the car lot have a 30 day warranty on cars they sell?

I bought a 2000 with 212K last spring with a bad motor (really a motor that had not been properly maintained) and replaced it with a newer lower mile motor. Car is great -- wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.

If the engine is strong, then I would do a timing belt and all of the pulleys and tenioner etc,water pump, belts, change the fluid in the trans etc just to be on the safe side.

I got mine for $550, but it wasn't running obviously.

If it's a good deal then whatever. But I wouldn't assume anything either. The 2000 EJ25's have head gasket issues too. They are actually much less troublesome though as they don't cause immediate overheating and leave you stranded. They can essentially last a very long time by just adding coolant. Eventually they'll start leaking oil too...then you're adding coolant and oil but you can go tens of thousands of miles like that after they start and they don't leak much when they start.

That being said, a private seller is a much better option. Then you know how many owners, previous maintenance, etc. You'll get a much better car that way and often you can get a good deal.

Just find one with a blown motor for cheap and fix it. Probably the same price as any used car dealer you'll find and you get a better deal. They're easy to find for $2,000 or less with a bad engine/trans - fix it for $1,000-$2,000 and you've got a great vehicle for not much cash and probably well under 200k.

And yes - it's an interference engine - at 200,000 miles it should have the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and pulleys all replaced at that mileage. That's like $1,000+ in work at the dealer.