Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback won't start. Loud crackling noise under dash

My wife drove off to drop my son at school this morning and when she got back in the car the car wouldn't start. It makes a loud crackling or rapid clicking noise that seems to come from under the dash or inside the steering column. I've had a bad starter before as well as a dead battery before and this sounds different. The engine does not turn over. The lights and radio work fine. There is no CEL.

I appologize if I don't have more information but I had to get to work and just had enough time to go pick her up and drive off to work without doing any more diagnostics. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or how I can better diagnose this problem? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

I've had a bad starter before as well as a dead battery before and this sounds different.

I would still check the battery and cables first to make sure there is no corrosion on the terminals.

How old is the battery?

Oh, and welcome to the board. Be sure to keep us updated on you progress.

The noise sounds like your starter or battery is not working. Suggest jump starting the car, then go to a chain auto parts store that will have a counter guy come out to the parking lot, hook up their diagnostic equipment, and tell you if the starter or battery have gone bad. The parts store will not charge you for this work. It is their service in hopes you will buy replacement part(s) from them. If you are half way mechanically handy, replacing either the battery or starter is pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm getting close. I jumpstarted it and the car started. Weird how it went out in just the 5 minutes it took my wife to drop off my son at school.

So after starting it I drove it for about half hour then tried to start it and same problem. I looked at the battery and it needed some serious cleaning. There was a good amount of corrosion and green goo on the positive post. So either that is offering some serious resistance, or the battery is really gone for good (it is still the original 11yo battery), or worst case the alternator is gone.

It's pooring outside so I'm going to leave any further work on it until tomorrow. Thanks again.

Good call.

I'd spend money on a new battery, shop around tonight online and pick it up or have it installed tomorrow, you're on borrowed time until it does it again.

I just replace my 2001 Outback battery with a manufactured date of 5/2000. It wasn't so much dead as the case cracked.

At 11 years old that battery doesn't owe you anything, it gave you its all.