Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Boomerang (Mountain Grizzly) Returns....

with the steels back on...

rs_mtngrizzly-2010-July.jpg

as for disabling the torsion bar, theres a coup o diffeent ways...

1. Cutting torch.

2. Grinder

Both ways involved making 3 cuts in the torsion tube to create a flap you can bend out of the way to get to the bar. flap/hole needs to be bigger if you are using a grinder!

once the bar is cut, then bend the flap back and weld shut.

however, once yo do this, if it's an offroad rig, you'll want to weld in a coupe of pieces of steel from the flat plate to the trailng arm, to make the rear a solid "A" trailing arm. a street driven rig shuldbe okay for a while.

when I did this to my Red Brat, I left i alone, until I ripped it out wheeling one weekend. there is a chunk of vulcanized rubber holding the outer torsio bar rig to the spline flat plate. (similar to he rubber in the front strut mounts.)

anyway, with thetorsi a disabled/cut, it allows that rubber to flex more than normal, and it can tear out leaving a very floppy wheel :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I am going to bump this thread, because this car is awesome! Mick, I want to go with a stance like this on the Ski wagon. Are those Chevy 6 lugs btw?

with the steels back on...

rs_mtngrizzly-2010-July.jpg

as for disabling the torsion bar, theres a coup o diffeent ways...

1. Cutting torch.

2. Grinder

Both ways involved making 3 cuts in the torsion tube to create a flap you can bend out of the way to get to the bar. flap/hole needs to be bigger if you are using a grinder!

once the bar is cut, then bend the flap back and weld shut.

however, once yo do this, if it's an offroad rig, you'll want to weld in a coupe of pieces of steel from the flat plate to the trailng arm, to make the rear a solid "A" trailing arm. a street driven rig shuldbe okay for a while.

when I did this to my Red Brat, I left i alone, until I ripped it out wheeling one weekend. there is a chunk of vulcanized rubber holding the outer torsio bar rig to the spline flat plate. (similar to he rubber in the front strut mounts.)

anyway, with thetorsi a disabled/cut, it allows that rubber to flex more than normal, and it can tear out leaving a very floppy wheel :)

Edited by TheLoyale

those were an aftermarket 15x7 wheel in a six lug pattern. would fit Chevy's and Toyotas. I would not recommend them though. because of the offset, even with the 4" lift, to fit the 27" tires on there, I had to beat the snot out of it to get them to fit...

and I still have that Australian Roo Bar for sale....