Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 XT-GL air suspension to gas

Is there a fairly wasy and inexpensive way to replace the factory air suspension with traditional gas shocks? I have a 1988 XT-GL coupe. I believe that it can be done, but I am having no luck finding much information on exactly what need to be done. Help PLEASE!

Go to the nearest junk yard. Find almost ANY ea82 powered rig. Remove and purchase shocks/struts w/springs from all 4 corners. Go home and replace said items onto said xt. That would be the cheapest way. Spend a few extra bucks and buy new struts/shocks for whatever ea82 car you find springs from, and your car will handle very well. Thanks, Spencer

So ANY ea82 powered suby will do?its all just bolt-on? Is there anyone else with any input?

No offense spencer, I am new to the world of subys and absolutely love this car. I just want to make sure that it will all work if I go to a junkyard and purchase these parts.

If you can find one, the front springs on the RX coupe are stiffer than the standard Subie set-up. I did the swap, and lucked out to find an RX in the bone yard with both springs. Oh, I would definitely get new struts though. It's amazing the difference that makes.

No offense taken, I apologize if my reply sounded a little sideways. When you do get to it though, there are subtle differences in specifics between models, though they will bolt on. 4wd rear springs are longer than 2wd rear springs, the spring perches are higher on 2wd rear shocks than the 4wd ones. I just got done fine tuning the rear suspension on my wheeler after buying and disassembling/mismatching all sorts of shock spring combos. I ended up with 2wd shocks with 4wd springs. You may want to look into finding some front springs off an 87ish accord, mated to 4wd rear shocks, if you want a stiffer ride (I've never tried it on an xt! Just a suggestion). The accord springs were too stiff for offroad IMO but might be great onroad. As for fronts I don't have much experience to share. Happy hunting! Spencer

yep all EA82 struts are the same as far as fitment. even the air, just swap them all day long. the ride heights differ a little with the most noticeable difference being the rears, i believe 2WD rears are preferred if you're converting air suspension - but it's been a while.

this is covered extensively and done all the time.

over on the subaruxt.com forum this is very common too since all 4WD XT6's came with air suspension. though in the case of the XT6 the fronts are completely different so swapping those is a different story than your 4 banger XT.

Thanks for all of the info fellas! I actually dont even own the car yet, but just got back from the junkyard. I ended up with 4wd struts and springs all the way around. I also did get the rear springs from a 2wd. it looks like the 4wd rear springs are gonna lift it 3-4 inches. Its going to be a BEAST!