Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearing Job Gone RIGHT

Well, it was time. My wagon, an '83 4x4, has been screaming from the passenger front side, "I'm worn! Replace me!"

After getting a deal on the grease seals from RockAuto's Closeout Sale, and a SCREAMING deal on the bearings themselves from a supplier down in Sparks (thanks GD), I found the time to get together with a bud with lots-o-tools over in California to help with the job.

I don't think we would have been able to finish so quickly and smoothly if it weren't for the photo essay Nug posted in the USRM. Thanks for that..it gave me the confidence I needed to do the job myself, with some help.

We just followed the steps as laid out. I'd have to say that the most difficult part was separating the tie rod end from the knuckle (aka Housing). It took some extra "persuasion", eventually it came out without damage.

Just followed as written..slam-bam, 1-2-3. Went back together with no extra "mystery" bolts or parts left over. "Just like downtown" :clap::clap::banana:.

Drove home 140 miles, no new strange noises..check.

No screaming from the right front during left curves (aaahhh..), check.

No change in the other 10,000 noises this car makes, check. :lol:

This was a biggie for me. usually my bud does 90% of the work (and I help/learn), but this time I did just about everything with him looking over my shoulder. Actually he wanted to get in there and do more, but I wanted to do as much as I could. I did let him drive out one of the old bearings and seal, and also had him install one of the new ones. Probably would never had got everything apart if it wasn't for him (thanks Dave).

WooHoo!! 54 years old and still learning and doing new things! (Turns up Ramones music) :headbang:

Edited by NV Zeno
sp, grammar

Awesome. This right here is why I took the time to take pics and write it down.

Maybe I'll do one on rebuilding a GM 4L60E automatic (what I'm currently rump roast-deep in). Because, you know, that'll be real helpful on a Subaru site.

sweet. you keep doing work to that thing, you may have to keep her forever...

Nah, this car won't last another year :lol::lol::lol:.

--

Thanks guys. With everything going so smooth on that job, it gave me a big confidence boost for other jobs.

We'll see. :rolleyes: