Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in process of buying a 2010 Outback. This is my first Subaru, although my daughter has been driving them for >10 years, I really don't know much about them. I figured a good service manual would be a good place to start.

Can someone recommend an informative manual? With Volvos, you bought the Bentley and skipped the *&^%$ Haynes - I presume that Haynes manuals for Subarus are as "helpful" as ever. (My 240 manual said, "Remove the instrument cluster." Really. How?)

One option is to buy the electrical and fuel system factory manuals. That could get pricey.

My intent is to learn about the car and do minor repairs. As the car is new, I won't need the manual for a while so I can look around.

Yea, IMO, the Haynes manual is light on exact "how to" info. Just kind of gives you generic basics.

I am not aware that Bentley makes a Subaru shop manual. If so, it will be technically good, but terribly nerdy in descriptions. At least that is my opinion on a Bentley for my 87 Audi 5000.

This forum provides excellent technical information on Subaru maintenance and repairs. One very nice thing about Subarus is that they are very reliable, very well constructed, and using quality materials. The motor is easy to work on, with the exception of spark plug replacement. Enjoy your new Outback!