Ultimate Subaru Message Board

almost gave up until i found usmb new hope

i would like to swap my stock engine in my 88 gl to a 94 legasy 2.2 i found for a good price i have been searching for info for many years now on how to find conversion plates ,wiring,body lifts and this weekend i was close to scraping my love for soobs but i found someone with a nice soob that turned me on to this web site ps i am old and computors are not the kind of tools i am used to using so bare with my

Well I think you found the right place here, mysoob. Welcome aboard!

Check out the Old Gen forum for stuff on your '88GL and the New Gen forum for info on the EJ22 engine, maybe the Mod forum for fitting the two together. Try out the Search function--this place is like an encyclopedia for Subies. Ask questions and share.

Good luck with your project and keep us up on your progress.

i would like to swap my stock engine in my 88 gl to a 94 legasy 2.2 i found for a good price i have been searching for info for many years now on how to find conversion plates ,wiring,body lifts and this weekend i was close to scraping my love for soobs but i found someone with a nice soob that turned me on to this web site ps i am old and computors are not the kind of tools i am used to using so bare with my

Hold on, you want to put the engine from your 88 GL wagon, into a 94 legacy?

Ummmm, well, we usually do things the other way around...

The EA82 (the GL's engine) would probably be too weak to pull the Legacy

around.

Not to mention it is usually considered junk by most members on here.

Depending on your area you can pick up an EJ22 (the Legacy's engine) for the same price as an EA82.

And EJ22's are by far more reliable and produce a heck of a lot more power.

I would suggest just saving up for an EJ22 if you are to replace an engine in

the Legacy.

Or if you are to take the Legacy engine and put it into your GL, then check out the retrofitting section, or for a simple link (click on the white words)

Twitch

. . . swap my stock engine in my 88 gl to a 94 legasy 2.2 . . .

Ooops! I totally misread what you were saying!

I agree with Twitch, don't think it would be a wise move at all. It's your choice of course. But the EJ22 is generally considered to be better than any engine that came before it (and by many of us, better than those that have followed it!!!)

At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I don't know that the ea82 is considered JUNK. I agre it isn't as powerful as the ej series, aspecially the seemingly bulletproof ej22, but certainly not junk. With that said, I don't see the reason for putting an ea into a ej application except for monetary concerns (i.e. I already have one). The better option would be to rebuild the ej, and convert the ea into a mudder.

This is a bad idea. You are going from 135 horsepower, 4 cylinder boxer engine, 16 valve single overhead cam, multiport fuel injected (140 ft lbs torque), electronic distributorless ignition to 90 hp@5200 101Lbs Torque@2800 with SPI. The cra will get crap gas milege as it is going to work twice as hard to move the legacy. Climbing a hill or passing will be a challange. You will be doing alot more shifting if it is a manual, and an auto will not be happy at all, even with an external cooler. It may even be impossible to make the auto happy with the engine mgmt of the 1.8 The 1.8 is engineered for much smaller tires then the Legacy so those torque numbers (drive wheel torque = flywheel torque x first gear x final drive x 0.85 : wheel thrust = drive wheel torque / rolling radius) will actually be far smaller. This conversion would be undriveable for the mere reason it would be so underpowered it could never get on a highway.

nipper

I don't know that the ea82 is considered JUNK.

Sorry if I offended you, northguy. I dearly loved both of my EA82 powered cars, drove them for many years.

They are what sold me on Subaru technology. I certainly did not mean to imply that they are JUNK!

But, as you admit, an EA82 would not be a good choice for a Legacy.

I don't know that the ea82 is considered JUNK.

Sorry if I offended you, northguy. I dearly loved both of my EA82 powered cars, drove them for many years.

They are what sold me on Subaru technology. I certainly did not mean to imply that they are JUNK!

But, as you admit, an EA82 would not be a good choice for a Legacy.

Lol, I think he was referring to me.

I was just stating that the general concensus is that nobody really likes the

EA82 around here.

I know in a naturally aspirated form its a decent engine, but anything more than that and its a bad proposition.

Twitch