Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 BRAT gas milage

What gas milage should I reasonably expect from an '86 BRAT?

After driving '80-'84 wagons for years (with 25-30 mpg), I expected similar milage out of my "new" BRAT (but she only gets 20+ mpg). She otherwise runs smooth and strong...

Are there ways to think about improving, problems to look for? Or is this what I should expect?

Thanks,

Drew

What gas milage should I reasonably expect from an '86 BRAT?

After driving '80-'84 wagons for years (with 25-30 mpg), I expected similar milage out of my "new" BRAT (but she only gets 20+ mpg). She otherwise runs smooth and strong...

Are there ways to think about improving, problems to look for? Or is this what I should expect?

Thanks,

Drew

I'm pretty sure its the aerodynamics of the car, and also the fuel you're

putting in.

In my experience with my BRAT, I get 2-3 mpg better with the mid grade than

I do with the low grade stuff.

Also, my mpg goes up when I use the 10% ethanol stuff too (don't ask me

why but it just does)

You may consider running a can of seafoam through your gas tank, just in

case your carb or fuel lines need to be cleaned out.

Twitch

Stock you should get 27 to 30 depending on driving. I've owned a LOT of EA81's (yes - several Brat's too and have daily driven them) and the only time I haven't been able to get to 26 or 27 with in-town driving is when something is not tuned properly, the cat is clogged up, or with poor tire inflation. Even my '83 hatch that has one low comp. cylinder (110 while the other's are around 140 - 150) get's 25 to 26 in town and the last trip I took to the beach and back I got 30.5

That goes for stock carbs and Weber's. I've run both for 10's of thousands of miles and the differences are negligible if tuned properly. My hatch has a 1960's Weber DGV-5A (manual choke) on it and as noted above it can reach low 30's with me driving it like I stole it. I imagine if I drove like grandma it would do closer to 35 - I have reliable sources that claim mid to high 30's from a 4WD hatch driven by a little old lady.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

stock form my BRAT got about 20/21mpg

after the lift, and after Weber carb conversion, factoring the mileage correction to larger tire size, getting about 24 now

+1 .......... same mods on mine. I might be a tad better than 24. Depends on my mood as to how heavy I am on the pedal.

I just upped my gas mileage a ton. I'm not sure what it was before, but I got new 2 inch Y pipes from the headers to a 2 inch high flow cat, and ran that 2' piping through a later model subaru muffler. It's made a huuuuuge difference in performance and mileage. I would really recommend it. the stock cat and pipes were very restrictive.

I just upped my gas mileage a ton. I'm not sure what it was before, but I got new 2 inch Y pipes from the headers to a 2 inch high flow cat, and ran that 2' piping through a later model subaru muffler. It's made a huuuuuge difference in performance and mileage. I would really recommend it. the stock cat and pipes were very restrictive.

I have a new 2" setup as well from the Y-pipe all the way back. Cut the cat open on the top side and gutted it then put it back in the system for visual emmissions inspection. Again 2" from there back thru a real small cherry bomb and out the back again with a 2" pipe. HUGE difference when coupled with the weber. Always remember, modifying the gulping side won't yield the desired effects without working on the farting side too.