Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo repair - 2003 Outback Wagon

I have a 2003 Outback wagon with a 6 CD player. The radio still works but the CD player won't, nor will it eject the discs. Its a Subaru Matsu************a 6 CD Changer, part number 86201AE36A.

Does anyone know if its just a fuse or something equally easy to fix, or is it toast?

How do I retrieve my CD's?

Thanks!

My experience has been that once the CD Changer starts refusing to eject CDs, the transport mechanism is usually kabroked. It CAN be repaired, but frequently it isn't terribly cost-effective. You're looking at about $250-275 to do a repair, depending on exactly what is broken, and you will generally get a warranty good for anywhere from 90 days to a year on THAT repair. On the flip side, you can usually replace the unit for less than that and have a good warranty on new gear. It really depends on what you want.

I think CDs are best retrieved by dismantling the changer. No amount of poking in the CD slot will help; prolly only damage the CDs.

As already suggested, best to replace then repair. Car stereo gear is not really made to be repaired.

You might get lucky at a wrecking yard for a used unit, or check after market for a new one. Replacing with a new unit OEM from a dealer, will be more expensive then after market.

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I'm off to the salvage yard to look for a replacement. Dagnabit...

In this situation, prolly best to call several yards to see if they have any Subaru CD changers in stock. No use going there, if there is none to be had.

The lSubaru 6 disc changer is lousy; mine failed too; I replaced with a used Subaru single-disk changer I got on eBay; 4 years later still working fine.

A number of manufacturers offer in-dash 6-disc changers. Of the bunch, we've seen the fewest problems with the Subaru and Mercedes changers. Everyone else seems to have LOTS of CD Transport problems. Not saying they're perfect, but they seem to be much better made than most of the others.