Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing TRansmission Filter / Fluid 93 Legacy

Hey friends, I am in the process of changing the transmission fluid and filter in my 1993 legacy wagon because the car was getting kind of sluggish shifting and driving. While I have it apart are there any adjustments underneath that I should make to tighten it up? Also what is the proper way to refill it? thanks a bunch. Any other tips would also be appreciated. -)

Recommend not changing the trans filter. It is just a fine mesh screen wire, and when I changed mine, there wasn't any grit or dirt trapped by the wire mesh. So, it was a waste of time. The problem is removing all of the old trans pan gasket before replacing the pan. It is just way too easy to start a leaky pan, even when using a new gasket, which is what happened on my 91 Leggie.

IMO, you are far better off changing the trans fluid about three times to get clean fluid, as draining the fluid still leaves about half in the system that won't drain out.

Others here have said the same as my advise. Search this forum for past posts on this post.

Recommend not changing the trans filter. It is just a fine mesh screen wire, and when I changed mine, there wasn't any grit or dirt trapped by the wire mesh. So, it was a waste of time.

Indeed, it is a waste of time. The thing in the pan isn't even a "filter". It's only a mesh screen. If the screen was clogged enough to cause problems then your transmission is probably hosed anyway - significantly warn or damaged parts.

So yeah, take a lesson from the rest of us that didn't know when we did it and save yourself the time and hassle!