Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a Subaru EJ22 engine.

How would I be able to tell what year this engine is? Any identifiers on the engine itself?

Also, I want to mount it to an engine stand. Is this done by mounting it to where the transmission would mount?

Thanks

Please bear with me. I am very new to the piston engine world.

I recently purchased a Subaru EJ22 engine.

How would I be able to tell what year this engine is? Any identifiers on the engine itself?

Also, I want to mount it to an engine stand. Is this done by mounting it to where the transmission would mount?

Thanks

Please bear with me. I am very new to the piston engine world.

No, use engine mounts to affix to engine stand, not in the transmission area.

New to piston world??? You must be a jet engine or Wankel motor guy??? Welcome to the piston world!! People glad to help you on this forum.

No, use engine mounts to affix to engine stand, not in the transmission area.

New to piston world??? You must be a jet engine or Wankel motor guy??? Welcome to the piston world!! People glad to help you on this forum.

Yes, worked on CC 130 Hercules aircraft.

My engine stand does not seem capable of mounting to the actual engine mounts. This is the type of stand that I have.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRD~0091081P/750-lb%252BEngine%252BStand.jsp

Thanks

re: identifying EJ22.

You can look at the exhaust ports - if there's two on each cylinder head, it's a 1995 or earlier engine.

You can pull the valve covers and inspect the rocker arms. If there are screw adjusters for valve clearance, it's a '97 or newer engine. If it has hydraulic lash adjusters, it's earlier.

Very late 2.2s (1999+) are "Phase 2" engines. I believe the spark plugs are in a different location and these use different intake manifolds, but I don't know.

Some Subaru engines have the VIN from the car stamped on them (think it's down low by where the bellhousing would mount.) If you can find a VIN, you can run a Carfax and see exactly what car it came out of.

Nathan