Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a set of heated mirrors for a friends 98 forester and we installed them last week. They came off the same year vehicle and everything is plugged in. They don't get warm to the touch like the mirrors in my forester do when they are activated. is there a relay that I was supposed to change out along with the mirrors?

Any help in trouble shooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I have Wiring Diags for my 2002 Forester. Not the same year as yours, but the wiring may be similar.

So, on the 2002, the heated side-mirrors DO have a 'Mirror Heater Relay':

There is a connector in the bulkhead area, under the dash (the wiring diags show the location on the right-side, but I haven't actually looked for it on my vehicle).

The relay appears to just plug in to the connector (and keeps the heater on after the heater button is pressed).

The connector is shown as:

- Black;

- 4-wires: (Black/Yellow, Black, Red/Blue, Black) (actually there may only be 3 wires going to the connector with the two Blacks internally connected). (the Red/Blue is 12V; the Black/Yellow is connected to the 2 side mirror heaters; the Black is grounded).

So if you find this connector under the dash, and nothing is plugged in to it, then you may need to buy a relay.

I also have the same problem. I installed the heated mirrors and everything is plug in except I dont know where to activate the heat. I dont see any switch that will turn the heat on or off:confused::confused::confused:

Unlike the outback, the mirror heater switch is build next to power adjustment switch.

I just got a set of heated mirrors for a friends 98 forester and we installed them last week. They came off the same year vehicle and everything is plugged in. They don't get warm to the touch like the mirrors in my forester do when they are activated. is there a relay that I was supposed to change out along with the mirrors?

Any help in trouble shooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

The heated mirrors are turned on by the rear defroster switch. Unlike the outback, the switch is a combination switch. It works perfectly on my 99 forester, but putting them in my friends S model is what is giving me a headache. I am going to look for the relay tonight after work. I honestly think that is the missing link and I truely appreciate all of the help you guys have been giving me today. This problem will be conquered!!

Hey guys:

Thanks so much for the links and the diagrams. I found the relay on the donor car last night and we found the plug on his Forester a few minutes ago. It was taped up behind the glove box. Now his mirror heat works perfectly and he is ever so happy.

Thanks for letting us know. Can you provide a little more details? Like the color and shape of the plug? And what kind of relay is it(metal or plastic)?

Is the relay made for mirror heater only or I can use the one for seat warmer?

Thanks again

Hey guys:

Thanks so much for the links and the diagrams. I found the relay on the donor car last night and we found the plug on his Forester a few minutes ago. It was taped up behind the glove box. Now his mirror heat works perfectly and he is ever so happy.

The plug is a four wire plug and it will be taped up behind the glove box with blue tape. It was the only plug that wasn't being used. The relay was a metal type, round with a white base. If you need to see what it looks like send me your email addy and I will get you a picture of it.

I have not got the email/picture of the relay, but I decide to just try the relay I have (round metal with white plastc base) and I found the plug thats located behind the glove box(no need to take out the glove box, you can see it from below). I plug the relay in and now I have heated mirror:banana::banana::banana:. Now all I have to do is to figure out where to secure the relay

The plug is a four wire plug and it will be taped up behind the glove box with blue tape. It was the only plug that wasn't being used. The relay was a metal type, round with a white base. If you need to see what it looks like send me your email addy and I will get you a picture of it.

Thanks Mike

What did you do to secure the relay? I couldnt find anywhere to hook and secure it:confused::confused:. Now its just hangging

Sorry: I finally got over to the car yesterday and pulled a relay for you and I was going to get you the pic today. Glad that you had the right one and that you now have heated mirrors.

Mike

I can sen you a clip that will hold the relay. If you take the glove box out and look at the side of the dash you will see a small square hole and that is what the clip pops into. I have several of the clips.

Mike