Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why are third-eye Subaru's so rare?

I've got an '85 at the moment (great wagon) but have been lusting after the early '80s body style for years. Thought I'd ask the crowd before I bought one. Why is the body style with third-eye headlights so rare? Additionally, do many of the parts overlap from early '80s Brats and the four headlight set-up of wagons from the early '80s. I want to hear it all; the bad, the good, the beautiful, etc.

the "center lamp" was only available in the early years of the body style too, so the actual ones with lamps is much smaller....

80-84 wagons. only 80-82 GL 4WD came with CL.

80-89 hatch. only 81-82 GL 4WD came with CL

82-87 Brat. only 82 GL Brat came with CL

Passing Lamp / Offroad Lamp was only on 1980, 1981, and 1982 cars from the factory.

check out the center link "subarus of the 80's for the brochures it will tell what models it could come one.

They are rare now, in that sure, they can be retrofitted to basically any of the same body style generation body, but it is RARE to find a working center lamp, with harness, with the RELAY (really rare) and a dash switch all as a COMPLETE unit to install retrofit.

Many years ago, in the time before time, I had an 80 GL with the "Third Eye". It's kind of useless, but that's one of the things that made it so fun to have! I've often toyed with snagging one if I find it in the local boneyard. Would love to try and mod it to the 87 Turbowagon, just for the heck of it.

Rust has been very unkind to this generation of Subaru.

So in addition to low production numbers, rust has eaten many of them.

Not to mention many people considered them to be throw away cars, so as soon

as something broke, they chucked them.

No respect I tell ya...

Twitch

Yep, I remember a few years ago EA81's and EA82's used to be like grains of sand on the beach in our local junk yards. They've long since been crushed and its rare to even find one around here to yank parts from, especially an EA81 buggy. I remember seeing cars with 3rd eyes, factory fog light setups, Brats, turbo Brats, etc, etc, etc. Man, to go back a few years in time and just stock pile all that stuff. Oh well.

I've got an 82 hatch and it is in working condition (not real pretty, but working). but i'm afraid of loosing it to the rust gods. i've already lost 3 suby's to them. had to give them up after being afraid of loosing a kid through the floor in the back. i'm actually thinking of selling the poor thing. i have too many suby's right now.

It's too bad this era of car is considered part of the land before time. Seems like the mid eighties Subarus are cycling through the junkyards in high numbers now. They're just not as pretty, though. I keep threatening to buy five of them and have parts cars for years. Hmmm, there's just never going to be another Subaru to match the early eighties.