Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing the 4 flywheel bolts via access

Hey guys, I am planning on swapping out my tranny soon. Now when I do this I am aware of the other steps, drop DP, prop shaft, unplug shifter linkage, electronics, speedocable, mounts etc, bell housing, but I am just thinking what is the easiest way to access the 4 flywheel bolts?

It is a 94 legacy turbo, and I don't feel like pulling the turbo, yet there might be enough room to access the bolts with a box end wrench. It appears a long extension from the front of the engine to the back will work, but I need some sort of universal that will allow the socket to swivel and line up with the bolt properly. Anyone had any luck with this method? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Hold on, 4? flywheel bolts?

Is it an auto or manual?

Do you mean the flexplate?

If so, then you can access it through the starter hole, or from the viewport on

the top of the tranny, I believe...

And if you're pulling a clutch, you don't need to unbolt anything other than the

bellhousing bolts.

Twitch

If it's a manual, then you remove the 8 flywheel bolts once the trans has been removed (or at least backed far enough up for access).

If it's an auto, then as twitch said, there is a black rubber cover (often missing) on top on the passenger's side bellhousing on the engine side. You have to go through this hole instead of the starter hole because the heads face the front of the car.

I recently had a rounded head on one of the flexplate bolts to deal with. I posted about it and got lots of good responses on the different techniques of removing these bolts. I can't tell you about the turbo.

Here,

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107238

You can't get at them from the starter hole.

You have to do it through the access hole under the throttle body on the back of the engine.

The perfect tool for this is a Wrecnh/Socket combo. You know where there is a socket on the end of the wrench instead of a box end. Ratchet and socket are too deep, box end or gear wrench won't qiute get a good enough grip to break them free cause of the angle.

So make it easy on yourself (IF the engine need to have work done, then just pull the intake now) and get a 12mm wrench/socket combo, and a friend to hold a 22mm socket on the crankshaft to keep it from spinning while you loosen them.

removing the PCV hoses in that area, and unpluggin the TPS and coil wiring will also help open up the area.

use a box end off set wrench. or, you can remove the pitch bar bracket and get in there with a short 12mm socket, and but the tool against the bellhousing for leverage. once you break the torque, the bolts will thread out by hand

It's a auto. Ill try some things then, I have a complete Ej22t with blown tranny sitting here so let me try separating that one first. Whats a pitch bar bracket btw? Is it the cover at the bottom of the engine because mine isn't in place.

the 'dog bone' piece between the firewall and the top of the trans. remove it(you will need to anyway) and remove the bracket that goes around the little access cover(on top of the motor)

there is supposed to be a cover on the bottom. are you trying to undo the bolts from underneath?