Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure

Hello everyone I have a problem I had good oil pressure one day and then my gauge only goes to 45 the next if I tap on the pump it goes up to 85 what is going on is my pump bad or is my senssor crazy it goes back to 45 and now when I sit at lights it even reads below zero other then that it doesnt knock nor does it run funny just need input going to pick apart tonight to pull oil pump and sensor. any info would help.

Oh yeah and my temp stay pretty normal so no overheating issues at all

My gage was doing the same some funny stuff when it was cold (86 Brat). Then it just stopped working. I took the wire that goes to the sending unit and grounded it. I then turned on the ignition(Do not start the car) and the gage showed full pressure. This told me the gage worked.The thing you should do next is test the pump with a mechanical oil pressure gage to make sure that you do have oil pressure. You can get a cheep aftermarket oil pressure gage to test this and adapt it to your pump. If you have good oil pressure you know it is the sending unit. Another thing to check is the condition of the wiring and connections around the sending unit. If you feel lucky you can buy a sending unit and just screw it in. You should see constant oil pressure as soon as the car fires up.You do however run the risk of ruining your engine if you do not have oil being pumped thru it. I got my sending unit at Shucks, and did the feeling lucky method and skipped the mechanical oil pressure gage test. You should have the new sending unit when you pull the old one out and oil pan under it because oil will flow out .

Paul

Ok so I went and bought a new sender then I went and shopped around for a oil pump I drove around for a couple days and then something weird occured smoke blew out my car and I lost a quart of oil on the ground where I parked the oil was all over my gauge and cover and bottom of the oil pan when I did further investigating I noticed that the sending unit had a strong amount of oil on it and had blown the oil out of the rear of it I replaced it with the new one I bought on the side of the road put in more oil and now everything works great weird how that works but its alll working now