Ultimate Subaru Message Board

800 Mile Road Trip

So i am planning on talking my 4" lifted '85 Wagon on a road trip from Mount Vernon, WA to Montana State University Northern in Havre Montana and back.

I am trying to come up with a list of stuff to bring, parts wise, and some preventative maintenence.

i also want to see who lives on the way if something happens.

I am going to pack a lot of extra oil and coolant, 2 spare tires, gas can, alt. belt and tools ...did i miss anything?

If youre still running the stock EA82, I would bring a pair of good timing belts and some extra good tensioners. And a disty. And an Alternator. And a coil, fuses, and fusible links. And jumper cables. Also never hurts to have a spare front and rear axle, and a madatory flashlight, because anything that can go wrong will, in the dark :grin:

-Bill

according to google, its a 14 hour drive 1 way, so in 25 year old subaru time, thats about 16-18 hours. there's two of us going, so we will be trading off driving time.

I'm gonna take off the 235/75's and put on the 215/75's so i dont have to turn 30's going up a mountain pass.

according to google, its a 14 hour drive 1 way, so in 25 year old subaru time, thats about 16-18 hours. there's two of us going, so we will be trading off driving time.

I'm gonna take off the 235/75's and put on the 215/75's so i dont have to turn 30's going up a mountain pass.

I'm sorta in your way...

If you need any help in the Idaho zone, gimme a holler, I might be able to help

you out.

The passes over here are killers on the coolant systems.

So when you hit Coeur'd Alene (Core duh lane) stop somewhere and check

your coolant levels.

If you get lost in Coeur'd Alene, gimme a call (I'll pm you my #)

And if you just want to have lunch with somebody other than the person

you're traveling with and meet another sube nut, I work at this place that

makes really good pizza.

My treat :)

Twitch

We just took a 1000+ mile trip to San Diego and back - EA82T awd. It had been sitting in a field for 7 years , I have only had it running a couple weeks. Even the ac is ice cold! I changed the fluids and tires but didn't have time to do the timing belts but carried them with me. Coolest part -Best tank was 29.6 mpg! Most were around 24 mpg with 4 people and loaded with luggage.:banana:

That sounds like a fun trip. I live in Missoula, MT if you have any problems passing through. I'll send over my #.

We are actually planning a trip ourselves (to Moab)(next week) in the station wagon (Loyale). I'm trying to be prepared "for the worst" as well. Have extra timing belts, radiator hoses, seals & gaskets, oil, my small tool collection. What else? Anyways good luck on your adventure!

-Keith

You're doing this on roads, right, not x-country?

Why 2 spares? I think I've blown one tire in the past 20,000 miles or so- including a number of 200-1000 mile road trips....

its because i don't own 2 sets of tires with the same rims and size

Cooling solution. I owned a 84 wagon. always gave me overheating problems. finally put a rebuilt radiator with increased capacity (dual core), never had cooling problems again. only to die in a rear end collision.

Insurance totaled and took it.

I saw it on I-15 SLC a few months later in '93. I wonder if its still running?

• 2 weeks later...

man...that thing needs "a Lot " of work before you should take it out like that, my opinion, lifted, they just are not meant to travel long distances, but thats my opinion. Put an ej22 in it the get a trailer and tow every part and tool you have! LOL just kiddin good luck to ya! it will be fun, besides it brings back memories of working on the car, on the side of a creepy HWY at night, had a guy offer me help once, creepy dude, well lets just say I didnt hang around too long JB weld the water pump and got the hell outta dodge, then 50 miles down the road, had to finally put a new one on( this was a lame 87 T-bird).:grin:

We got into Havre today. you can go to the wal mart parking lot, then drive over a barrier, then be in wheeling territory. other than that, there is the world's smallest dairy queen. i never realized Montana was that desolate. next time i come here will be in a lifted subaru :grin:

We got into Havre today. you can go to the wal mart parking lot, then drive over a barrier, then be in wheeling territory. other than that, there is the world's smallest dairy queen. i never realized Montana was that desolate. next time i come here will be in a lifted subaru :grin:

Yeah, there is a LOT of space out there needs to be filled...

WITH SUBARUS!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Lol, anyway, back on topic, how far are you from your destination?

I'm sure you can't be too far considering you're halfway through Montana.

Twitch