Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Get it or not?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and sorta to Subaru's. I had a year ago a 92' Subaru legacy wagon awd with the 2.2L turbo 5 speed. great car, but sadly it was lost when someone out of state hit me and totaled the car, if i was conscious i would of had it towed to a garage or my house to have it fixed cause before it was crushed i was able to start it, insurance company required it be crushed to pay for medical bills.

But enough of the past. Right now I'm looking into getting another Subaru, i would get the new impreza or forester, wish they still made the legacy wagon! But don't have the money to do so since i also own a 07 jeep wrangler jk 2 door. I'm currently looking at a 1992 Subaru Loyale wagon, not sure if its the 4WD-AWD model or the FWD, hopefully its a AWD type cause my legacy was a blast in the snow! AKA snow plow! i found the car on craigslist, i would post it but i don't want someone to buy it before i get time to get to see it.

its a 5 speed manual, is a wagon has the stock rims, is white and the motor and tranny work perfect according to the dealer, its from a dealer not a private person! the only problem according to them is that it has some rust built up on the wheel wells, where the doors and the wheel area are but otherwise it is in great shape, interior looks really good from the pictures. I haven't looked at it yet cause it is 50 some odd miles from my house, i might go look at it later this weekend or Monday. the car is being sold 450OBO.

But my real question is, do you think this car could make it across country, the main reason for getting another Subaru is that its get better MPG on the Highway then my Wrangler, the previous subbi was dependable even on winter mornings with 4ft of snow, it was nice being able to pass people or even help people that were stuck in the snow or ice, mostly honda's or toyota's! I know the best thing to do when buying a used car is to give it a tune up, spark plugs, belts, filters, oil etc be changed and brakes lol can't forget that one.

Thanks for all advice, as i said i am new to this forum, so i hope this is in the right area and i apologize for the length and if its in the wrong area!

Regards,

Renodude18

R.I.P 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Drive Wagon(AKA snow plow) April 92 till January 8th 2009 252,953 miles and no problems!

If you liked your Legacy, don't downgrade to the EA82 - get another 90 to 94 Legacy. The Loyale was the low-end entry level model. 90 HP, push-button 4WD (not AWD), and the engine's are troublesome.

I say don't - I don't reccomend EA82's to anyone anymore. Too old, too finicky, and no upside really. If you want an old 4WD with dual-range, etc - find an EA81 wagon (82 to 84). They aren't uncommon in the Reno area.

GD

Thanks for the advice, i was looking online about the specs of the motor, and was thinking that the engine HP was kinda low and saw some videos on it and it doesn't seem like it can really keep up todays cars. But at the same time the price is good sense i'm looking for a decent running subaru under 1000, i bought my legacy for 950 when it had 128,000 miles.

I was also woundering since this motor isn't very powerfull, can you swap the motor for maybe the 1992 Subaru legacy 2.2L AWD and put it in this loyale?

I can't find a decent legacy other then a 93 but is a little steep in the budget and needs a new clutch, but other then that it is said that the 93 legacy is in great condition and the picture look nice. its 850 for but it does have a new motor with less then 40,000 miles on it!

it would be nice to get this car because of the price and the lack of needing parts to get in to it. But the only down part is the Horsepower and the maybe bad engine. i think i will still test drive it, if its a no go i will if available go with the 93 legacy! But please still let me know on your thoughts, thanks for the advice too!

Thanks for the advice, i was looking online about the specs of the motor, and was thinking that the engine HP was kinda low and saw some videos on it and it doesn't seem like it can really keep up todays cars. But at the same time the price is good sense i'm looking for a decent running subaru under 1000, i bought my legacy for 950 when it had 128,000 miles.

If you think thats low look at the specs for a EA81 :eek:. Honestly though they are underpowered cars but with the right amount of playing around they can keep up with traffic. I agree with GD about the EA81s though. Go for one of those instead (manual tranny though!!). Much simpler motor to work on and dead balls reliable. Ive been daily driving EA81s for the past 7 years (one of the few in new england who does). Id rather drive them then newer cars just cause the price of parts is cheap and almost everything i can fix myself without bringing it to a garage and getting raped with a high repair bill. Im sure i could fix a newer gen subaru too but i just like the simplicity of the EA81. It also doesnt hurt that i get at least one thumbs up per week for driving em. :banana:

Go with the Legacy for $850 - that sounds like a good deal. Clutch kits are reasonable - I've done "budget" clutch repairs by buying only the disc, pilot bearing, and T/O bearing - usually runs about $100 for all three. Takes about half a day to lift the engine out, replace the clutch, and be back in business. Also gives you a chance to change hoses, belts, and seals while the engine is out.

If I could only have one car, I would have to pick a '91 (like the body style) AWD 5 speed Legacy - it would be a tough choice to give up my EA81's, but the EJ22 is such a great engine and it's a tie for reliability between the two. Again - if I could only pick one I would go with the AWD and the 135 HP. Them being very common in the junk yards seals the deal - EA81's are getting somewhat scarce. If you aren't real mechanical - EA81's are a good choice as they are really, really simple machines. No timing belts - everything easily accesible. Reminiscent of the air-cooled VW's...... but better.

Doesn't matter how cheap that EA82 is - by the time you do everything it *really* needs to be a reliable daily - you will have spent just as much as the Legacy. The Legacy will get you around in comfort and style by comparison - it can merge on the freeway, and gets the same or better mileage. It's a no-brainer really. Loyale = Fail.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

This sucks, the car was sold really fast. The 93 Legacy. I did look into the parts for it, the most it could have been was 150 for me to fix it, although i think i would need an engine lift cause my old one broke trying to lift a diesel motor out of a jeep liberty. But anyway does anyone know if i was to stumble upon a older legacy motor such as the 2.2L turbo or similar could i just swap it with the one in the 92 Loyale? I would then get dependability and true AWD if i also got the transmission right? Also what if i was to rebuild the Loyale Engine and put a turbo to it would i get increased performance? I'm pretty sure i would, its just a matter if it will fit in the compartment of the Loyale. Thanks for the help!