Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have a 91 Subaru Legacy 2 wd sedan and the heater blower does not work on any speeds. I checked for power and there is no power going to the blower motor . Both the blower fuses # 20 & #21 are good I can not find the blower relay and I do not hear a click from the relay I am wondering if it has a relay as napa has no listing but aldata says it does and its located lower left of the steering column. I power probed the black with red tracer wire at the blower fan motor and the fan works all 4 speeds work also. I do not know what to do. I almost want to just run a fused wire off of the ignition to the black with red tracer blower motor wire.Thank You

I had same problem, when I had my 91 leggie. I fixed it by removing the blower motor. It is located behind the glove box. I thought my motor had gone bad, but turned out that the motor was full of leaves and crud. Once I cleaned out the junk, the blower motor worked just fine.

Many others have reported this same problem, so it must be a common problem.

Welcome to the forum.

The blower relay should be close to what your info stated. There is a set of four relays in a row and I believe the blower relay is on the left side of the row. The other relays are for the head lights and rear defroster. The turn signal flasher is also near the relays so turning on the flashers may help you locate the relays.

Power to the motor is supplied to through the relay and then to the motor. The return side of the circuit goes through the switch, speed resistors and then to ground. Since you saw no power at the motor and the fuses were good (and have power getting to them) then the relay is the best next check, like you are thinking.

Hi,

I have no power to the swich and I can not find the relay to save my life. Thanks for the help

it sound like, from cougar's post, that the switch is after the blower on the ground side of the circuit. so if there is no power at the blower, there would be no power at the switch.

side note:

switching the ground on a residential electrical circuit is a big NO-NO. i keep forgetting that the rules are different for low voltage systems.

you might start with the fuse and what wire color is there and then try and trace it. i don't have my haynes manual here.

I am going to remove the fuse box, computer ect untill I find the relay, I am wasteing to much time looking I think it would be quicker to disassemble untill I find the relay someone been in to it before the fuse box is not connected ect. Thanks for all the help.