Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got an 88 RX

Well yeah. You get what you pay for I guess, and it is a little rough, but... it runs, and seems to be okay. Or, at least hasn't blown up yet, maybe later.

I saw it near work and kept driving by it, finally I knocked and left my number and the guy called and well, here it is. I was surprised by a few things, namely the headgaskets and heads seem to be okay so far, despite a blown water pump. Compression is good. Fluids are staying seperate, starts immediately.

I was delighted when I pulled the belt covers to see all new idlers, belts and pulleys, and happy to see the new struts. It came with two sets of tires and a stereo thrown in.

Couple of things I wasn't ready for, the red turn signal indicators on the dash, (instead of the green I'm used to) and the little turbo emblem that lights up under boost, I don't recall anyone mentioning that before, it startled me merging into traffic - I thought it was a warning light out of the corner of my eye! :lol:

I didn't think much of the home made cold air package, but it does let you hear some turbo noise, which is cute (for lack of a better term).

But whats up with the 'ka boosh' when it dumps excess pressure? I thought these didn't have any type of blow off? Did someone add that?

Bought it as a non runner, with a big dumb %%% hole in the hood, missing rear bumper (nice hitch :eek:), the mandatory sun baked upholstery, and a cracked windshield. The water pump was as bad as I've ever seen, and the PO's single row rad has got to go. I trailered it, and swapped the pump today. He claims he didn't drive it after the pump crapped, that it was undriveable, (I agree, but don't know what that really means or how often it got hot before he parked it). He claimed to have not radically overheated it, that it failed on the way home and really let go when he got to his house.

I wasn't figuring that it was a useable engine, and had planned on parking it until some future ej swap... but it's cool to finally drive an ea82T and see what that was all about, it was an option for my RS, and I was always curious what a little more power would do for driveability. Now I know, it makes you grin like an idiot. :)

and no, the lsd is not for sale

post-27810-13602763986_thumb.jpg

post-27810-13602764012_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027640128_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027640135_thumb.jpg

brag? kind of... it is pretty rough, in the details I left out, I had even more good reasons to question the engine (which is why I didn't say much before now) I was mainly into the chasis/gearbox/lsd

as a car, it needs a lot of work, for our purposes here it is neat to see one that has survived this long

I have no plans to modify the ea82T, but I may add a basic intercooler to prolong it's life, beyond that I'd like to find replacements for missing bits

um, like a bumper

(a hitch on an ea82T with a single core radiator :banghead: great idea :rolleyes:)

naw you didn't ruin the lsd for sale, but those are like throwing meat before hungry wolves on this board

Edited by Txakura

no joke, I still wince at Rob's RX pictures, it was doubly close to home as I use the same highway

I have a Halon bottle that can ride with me

Yeah, that was Bills RX that self destructed, not mine.

Altho mine has a habit of destroying engines :rolleyes:

I didn't think much of the home made cold air package, but it does let you hear some turbo noise, which is cute (for lack of a better term).

But whats up with the 'ka boosh' when it dumps excess pressure? I thought these didn't have any type of blow off? Did someone add that?

Bought it as a non runner, with a big dumb %%% hole in the hood,

I wasn't figuring that it was a useable engine, and had planned on parking it until some future ej swap... but it's cool to finally drive an ea82T and see what that was all about, it was an option for my RS, and I was always curious what a little more power would do for driveability. Now I know, it makes you grin like an idiot. :)

and no, the lsd is not for sale

the intake noise is normal, both sucking and blowing, after getting rid of the air box

fix the hood hole with an even bigger scoop

the turbo is more for uphill cruising than quick acceleration

for more fun, e85, makes boost QUICK

LSD good for cornering in snow