Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat rear sway bars

i know whiteling used to make a rear swaybar kit for the brat and other ea81 cars, but from what i hear, dont anymore.

i talked to the parts department at annapolis subaru, a whiteline dealer. i talked with jackie, she said that her destributor said they arent available anymore. she also said that she sent an email to whiteline in australia and is waiting for a response on that.

then the idea of seeing if any one else would want a kit, we figured that if there was enough interest in it, they might make up a few kits as a one time run.

so, would anyone be willing to get one if they were available again?

yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking, ive got the ea82 swaybar available since i stripped out my rx, its just a rolling shell right now. ill just go that route.

on a side note, any one know a good way to paint the swaybar with out the paint flaking off? had that problem on my impreza a while back. i stripped it, cleaned, primed and painted it, within a few months, it was just rust all the way across the bar.

i was thinking about using a zinc galvanizing primer on it when i get it cleaned up, then i want to hit it with a good primer, metalic base coat primer, the metalic purple that i want to go on it, then maybe a heavy duty wheel paint clear coat over that. with wet sanding on the later coats for a nice shine on a part few will ever see, lol.

i am going with flat black and glossy metalic purple on the brat, it will look sweet when its done, but thats a ways off.

Have it zinc plated instead of painting it. Powder coat would probably hold also. Zinc is pretty cheap and you can get together a bunch of stuff and have it all done for maybe $100.

GD

i know whiteling used to make a rear swaybar kit for the brat and other ea81 cars, but from what i hear, dont anymore.

i talked to the parts department at annapolis subaru, a whiteline dealer. i talked with jackie, she said that her destributor said they arent available anymore. she also said that she sent an email to whiteline in australia and is waiting for a response on that.

then the idea of seeing if any one else would want a kit, we figured that if there was enough interest in it, they might make up a few kits as a one time run.

so, would anyone be willing to get one if they were available again?

As of less than a year ago, the Whiteline rear swaybar was still being made. If you don't believe me, look at my Brat. It's being made by Selby's Swaybars, an offshoot of Whiteline. I'd be up for a group shipping thing to get the front one from them.

Jacob

As of less than a year ago, the Whiteline rear swaybar was still being made. If you don't believe me, look at my Brat. It's being made by Selby's Swaybars, an offshoot of Whiteline. I'd be up for a group shipping thing to get the front one from them.

Jacob

interesting, can you get me the info for it? i can at least pass it on to my friend at the dealership, maybe she can get ahold of em that way.

Here's the e-mail I got from them. I went for the rear one. It was nice being one of two people in the US known to have it (edrach beat me to it), and the exchange rate was pretty good when I bought it.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

The following Selbys Swaybars are available for: Subaru, JF2 series 10/79-84 AWD Wagon. I think this is what your "Brat" falls under in Australia.

All prices are in AUS$ excluding delivery. Australian customers need to add 10% GST.

Part Number: SSF41

Description: Front Swaybar-heavy duty

Notes: 22mm Replacement bar

Qty in Kit: 1

Price: $250.00+

------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Number: SSR41

Description: Rear Swaybar-heavy duty

Notes: 16mm Full Kit bar

Qty in Kit: 1

Price: $250.00+

------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Regards

Jackie Holmes

Selbys Swaybars

4 Lincoln Street Minto NSW 2566 Australia

Ph: +61 2 9603 0100 | Fax: +61 2 9820 2559 | Email: mail@selbys.com.au

awsome, i will send a copy of that to my friend. maybe she can get ahold of some stuff for us. if anyone even wants it.

I wouldn't bother with your friend. I called Whiteline USA, and all they did was give me that girl's e-mail address.

Jacob

I wouldn't bother with your friend. I called Whiteline USA, and all they did was give me that girl's e-mail address.

Jacob

my friend might be able to get a better price than if i were to try by myself. i think the dealer she works for might be an authorized whiteline dealer or something like that.either way, she has contacts with them. i know that she is the type to find a way to get what you need, usually going above and beyond.

either way, it wouldnt hurt.

I have an XT6 rear sway bar in my EA81 coupe. It is a 20mm solid bar (rather than the 18 or 19 that the RX had). It def flattens the cornering a bit but would i spend 250 to do this upgrade like the aftermarket bar your talking about...nah. Just find someone parting an XT6 and have them take the bar off for you along with cutting the mounts off the trailing arms. Then either weld it on yourself if you trust your welding skills or have a shop do it.

I have an XT6 rear sway bar in my EA81 coupe. It is a 20mm solid bar (rather than the 18 or 19 that the RX had). It def flattens the cornering a bit but would i spend 250 to do this upgrade like the aftermarket bar your talking about...nah. Just find someone parting an XT6 and have them take the bar off for you along with cutting the mounts off the trailing arms. Then either weld it on yourself if you trust your welding skills or have a shop do it.

That's $250 AUD. I don't know what that means now, but back then, it made a big difference.

Jacob

if it comes down to it, i have the bars from my rx to use, so i guess it doesnt really matter if its available, but id like to know that i had a good part to put on. but yeah, its what ever.

If you have the bars from the RX just use those. As i said your not going to notice a night and day difference. Its definitely better with the sway bar but not so much as to spend that much money on it. Hell thats getting close to enough to get a set of decked and ported EA81 heads from our own Jerry DeMoss :lol:

If you have the bars from the RX just use those. As i said your not going to notice a night and day difference. Its definitely better with the sway bar but not so much as to spend that much money on it. Hell thats getting close to enough to get a set of decked and ported EA81 heads from our own Jerry DeMoss :lol:

i am going all out on this car though, only reason i was wanting to get new parts is to keep with the rest of the new bits going into it. it getting a wrx swap when i get my tax returns back. i sooo cant wait, lol.