Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommendations for shocks, what else should I replace in the rear end?

I am replacing a rear inner arm on an '84 GL Wagon. I posted a couple weeks ago about this, thanks for the advice! I bought an inner arm from Aaron's Subaru.

I replaced the wheel bearings and seals on one side (other side to follow)

Since I have stuff dis-assembled back there, I want to replace what's easy to replace, as a preventative measure.

I'd like to replace the shocks. Are there any sort of shocks I should look for, or avoid?

I also want to replace the differential seals, and the brake hoses.

Am I missing anything obvious?

you could take the time to paint the suspension components, with enamel(brush on rustoleum) if you want to prevent rust.

up here in the rust belt, i have seen trailing arms split in half from rust, the welded seam would rot out on them. just a suggestion if you want to take your time with stuff.

sand and dirt will accumulate in the torsion beam as well. try to dig out any sand or mud that has accumulated behind the mudflaps, wheel arch, and rocker silld, and especially behind the shock mount tower, since those are prone to rust out. also clean up the edges of the gas tank since sand and dirt will accumulate there as well, and that is where the gas tank will leak if it fails from rust. also, on the passenger side, remove the cover plate for the fill tube and clean/paint that as well.

my suggestions are for salty winter regions, but it doesn't hurt to prevent rust any way you can since its apart.